八 • eight

"You guys... um... know each other?" Carmen asked awkwardly. Jackson looked at you and then at Mark.

"We just met today, actually," you said, eyeing Mark suspiciously. "Where were you guys?"

"Oh!" Carmen exclaimed. "We were... eating lunch together?" You squinted at both of them, eyed Mark up and down again, then opened the door wider.

"Come in... I guess."

Mark shook his head slightly. "I have to get going," he said disappointedly. "Maybe we could meet tomorrow." His last words were so quiet that Carmen didn't hear them.

"What did you say?" she asked.

Mark cleared his throat, speaking louder. "I'll text you. Maybe we could meet up tomorrow."

Carmen- although she tried to suppress it- grinned. Mark blushed and looked down.

He waved as he turned away and left.

You shut the door behind Carmen and you looked at each other. You raised an eyebrow, smirking at her.

She blinked. She blinked again.

Then, the words started pouring out.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry I didn't tell you sooner, it's just I like him and I knew you would tease me if I told you and I knew you would want to meet him and actually he was the reason I was late to your match yesterday and I'm sorry for that too it's just that-"

"He's pretty cute," you said, cutting her off.

She shut her mouth- which had been hanging open- and took a shaky breath in.

"Y-yeah, he is," she agreed, smiling.

Jackson, who had been standing and watching the whole time, stuck his bottom lip out in a pout.

"I'm cute too, right Rae?"

You sighed, shaking your head.

"Sure. Whatever. I'm hungry." You walked into the kitchen, hoping neither of them would notice you changing the subject.

"Ooh, me too!" Jackson said, bouncing up and down.

You glanced at Carmen.

"C, do you want..." you feigned disappointment. "Oh that's right... you already ate... with Mark." You giggled as Carmen blushed and ran to her room.

"So Jackson, what do you want to..." you stopped as you opened the fridge. Your mouth hung open at the state of it. It was full. It was never full. Ever. You and Carmen only bought what you absolutely needed.

"Oh, yeah, I bought some groceries," he said nonchalantly. "It's the least I could do for you letting me stay with you."

You almost started to protest. Almost. And then you remembered that this was probably the richest guy under 30 that lived in the city, maybe even the country. You shut the fridge door.

"Thanks," you said, still in awe. "Uh, what do you want?" You motioned to the fridge.

He shrugged. "A sandwich is fine."

You ate in silence.

You were still digesting the information of Carmen having a boyfriend (pun intended). In all the time you had known her, she only had dated someone once.

He hadn't been the person Carmen though he was. Heck, he hadn't been the person anyone thought he was. It had taken Carmen almost a year to get over him.

And you were scared. Scared that Mark wasn't the person he seemed to be. Scared that he would break your best friend's heart. You were terrified.

"Rae?" Jackson said, waving a hang in front of your face. "Are you gonna eat that?" He pointed to your half-eaten sandwich that you had been staring at.

"Oh! Uh, yeah, I am," you replied. He looked at you with concern.

"Are you okay?" he asked softly. You glanced up at him and then back down. You nodded, picking up your sandwich and taking a bite.

• •

After lunch, you and Jackson sat down and read. It was the type of reading that blocked out all other senses. You didn't hear Carmen to start making dinner and you didn't even notice it was dinner time- to you, only a couple minutes had passed and you couldn't feel your hunger.

"Rae!" Carmen shouted.

You flinched, setting the book down.

"It's time for dinner," she said in a considerably softer tone.

"I'm not-" you started, but a grumbling in your stomach cut you off. You sighed, marking your place in the book and closing it.

You sat down next to Jackson as Carmen handed you your plate of food over the counter.  It looked delicious-quesadillas!- and you realized that you had been at least ten times hungrier than you had thought. 

Jackson's phone buzzed and he pulled it out of his pocket. As he scanned the text, his eyebrows shot up and he smirked. Carmen, looking over his shoulder also seemed surprised.

"Hey, Rae," he said. "Do you want a rematch?"

• • ~ • • ~ • • ~ • •

a/n:

oof this was awful i apologize

next chapter will definitely be more interesting

also bambam will be coming soon so stay tuned

ok that's it baiii