二 • two

One: no killing. Two: no weapons. Three: no handicaps.

Those were the rules for this fight. Of course, the rules varied depending on the rank difference of the two participants. Since Jackson and you were similar in rank, there weren't any handicaps. You had seen many different handicaps, ranging from headstarts to only one person using a weapon while the other didn't all the way to the biggest handicap, a 2 v 1.

Other than the three rules for this fight, you could do almost anything. Any style of fighting, any tactics, anything. The way someone won was by either getting their opponent to surrender or by knocking out their opponent. You didn't care which one happened, you just wanted the money.

As you got close to Jackson, time seemed to slow, a talent you had developed over your 2 years of training and 3 years of fighting. Since you hadn't seen him fight before, you didn't know his fighting style, so your strategy was going to be to dodge his attacks until you could learn it. This was another one of your talents, picking up the fighting styles of your opponents and replicating them.

He swung at you, and as you dodged, you observed how although he put force into his attack, he also had been aiming for somewhere just under where your shoulder blade and collarbone met. That meant he had strength and precision. You took note of this as he kicked upwards, but you swiftly ducked under his leg, pulling it and flipping him over with all of your strength. However, your counterattack didn't do much, as he simply hit the ground and pushed himself so he was squatting on the tips of his toes.

He sprang up and spun to face you. As he did this, you saw the door to the hallway that led to locker room open, Carmen walking out. No one else noticed, the crowd too focused on the match. She sat down next to your stuff and made eye contact with you, signaling you to focus on your match. You nodded while easily dodging Jackson's punches. You saw Carmen nodding off and chuckled to yourself. Carmen fought sometimes, but since she had a long day at work today, she wasn't feeling up to it. Apparently, her workday had been so arduous that she could fall asleep in a room filled with cheering fans.

You continued fighting Jackson, and so far you were winning, but only by a little. He approached you and suddenly tackled you. You realized that like you, he could change his fighting style, which was exactly what he was doing. Just before you could hit the ground, you lifted your knee so that it was tucked under your chest. You flattened your foot and pushed off the floor throwing him off of your back. A series of 'ooh's sounded from the crowd as Jackson hit the floor on his side. He quickly recovered, however, hopping up without expressing any pain.

He tackled you again, this time going for a different angle so you couldn't do the same thing you did before. While you couldn't push off the floor again, you could still flip him over, something he seemed to realize too late. You jerked your shoulder to the right just before your other side made contact with the cold concrete, watching Jackson perform an exact replication of the last time he tackled you.

You were still on the floor, but you rolled over and sat up to face Jackson. You felt a dull ache from your left shoulder- the one that had slammed onto the floor- but ignored it as you focused on Jackson. By this point, you had been fighting for about 15 minutes, so you were both starting to become tired. Making no move to stand up, you simply bent your knees and tucked your legs underneath yourself, your toes the only thing touching the ground so that you could spring up if necessary. Jackson started walked in your direction. The gap between quickly disappeared and he was soon towering over you. You didn't flinch or shrivel, straightening your back so you were at eye level with his thigh. Time slowed again as you saw the muscles of his leg contract, and you barely had time to swerve as his knee went right through the air where your forehead had been just moments ago.

As you avoided his knee, you almost crashed into his other leg. You barely managed to swivel around it, and as you did, your foot caught on his leg. Since he was just beginning to bring his knee down, his weight was still fully on the leg that your foot had unintentionally hooked on, throwing off his balance. His arms were flailing around him and he was trying to regain his footing, but it was no use. He crashed into the concrete, sliding a little due to the sweat dripping down his back.

Luckily, his chin was tucked as he stumbled, so his skull wasn't impacted by the fall. The crowd was growing noisier due to the intensifying level of fighting, and you could see Carmen starting to wake up. She looked around groggily before noticing the figure laying on the ground and you hovering over him. She smiled leaning the back of her head against the wall behind her.

There was a groan from your opponent and you looked down the man at your feet. He had sweat slowly rolling down his defined cheekbones, his face slightly flushed from so much physical exertion. The corner of his bottom lip was swollen and busted, dried crimson painted over it.

Suddenly, his eyes flew open and he attempted to jump up, but you were faster, kicking his chest down and putting all of your weight on his firm stomach. You stepped back down, wary of Jackson now that you had seen him try to surprise you. His eyes were open, scanning your expression for a hint as to what you were about to do. His attempt failed, you having quickly iced over your expression.

He eyed you apprehensively, then quickly sprung up. You could have stopped him, but you didn't, allowing him to get to his feet before immediately attacking him. You punched him where his neck met his chest and without so much as a wince of pain, he retaliated with a swing aimed for your face. You dodged this, however, ducking and pushing his arm upward, sending him spinning off balance.

Instead of letting him fall, you spun behind him and used one of his arms to pull him close to you. He was taller than you, so your eyes were at level with the bottom half of his head. You pinned his arm behind his back, twisting it until he groaned in pain. Using his other arm, he tried to push you back, but you took it with the arm you weren't using and held his wrist with a firm grip.

He tried to jerk away, but you tugged backward and let go, stepping away to let him fall. He tried to recover as soon as he made contact with the concrete, but you kicked his neck as soon as he attempted to stand up.

He winced and moved to touch the place where your shoe connected with his neck, but you kicked his hand away, grinding it into the floor. "Ahh, fu-" he whispered. You rolled his head over so only half of his bruised face was visible. You took a moment to observe his features, this time taking in all of the pain etched into his expression. Your eyes traced over the purples and blues painted over his chin and cheeks, over the deep red stains on his lips and forehead. You could tell he was quickly losing energy and took it as an opportunity to end the match.

You crouched down over his head, making your fingers into an L and placing it on the side of his forehead. You drew back your other arm and carefully hit him on his temple, making sure not to punch too hard. He groaned, opening his eyes just before he passed out.

There was a moment of silence and you could feel the crowd holding their breaths. You prodded him with your shoe. He remained motionless, the only movement was the slow rise and fall of his chest. The crowd erupted into cheers and hollers, amongst which was Carmen, all sleepiness seeming to have faded. "And the winner is Lee Mirae!" the announcer said, making it final.

• • ~ • • ~ • • ~ • •

a/n:

hello

sorry if this was really boring this chapter was getting really long so i just like split it in half so the 'part 2' is the next chapter i guess

hopefully that one will be more exciting

bye