As the realization sank in, my vision became slightly blurred. I tried to blink it away only to comprehend that I was doing it again.

Master was shocked at first, but recovered his usual composure.

"I guess Evelyn did learn a lot of things," he said as he patted me on the head.

His hand was big and warm, just like before.

I only cried more while Master stayed by my side throughout the night, gently patting my head like a father watching his child finally grow up.

After that, he didn't return back to the castle with me. Nor did he stop by to even say a word to Nero. He just left.

Left before I found the words to properly communicate my feelings.

But the next time I see him again, I'd definitely let him know.

By the time I returned, news about the pretty pet with the rosy red eyes at the auction already reached Nero's ears.

"I didn't expect so many bidders to be interested in Disabled vampires. As if I wasn't popular enough to begin with," I joke when I failed to hide from him upon entry through the front door.

He didn't find humor in my attempt.

"You are not in any ways disabled."

"Oh but the color of my eyes say otherwise."

Nero comes closer, standing only a few inches short of his father's imposing height.

"It pains me to know you've suffered because of it. If you want, I can..." Nero pauses and looks deep into my eyes. "I can change that."

Though he offered, he didn't seem too happy about his own proposal.

Lucky for him, I have no intention of accepting.

"But I quite love the color red," I respond with a smile, faintly recalling someone who once told me the same thing.

Despite the different treatment I received growing up, it's thanks to this eccentricity that allowed me to meet people who could see beyond my exterior. It's also thanks to this trait that I've found a life that I'm pleased with.

So if I change them now, I'll be betraying myself and all those who found good in me.

Nero smiles at my response before rushing me off to clean myself up and get ready for breakfast. That was the end of that.

Peaceful days followed as I grew accustomed to life back in Argid. I became in charge of the Dietrich household and Nero agreed to pretty much everything I asked. I most appreciate that Adrian and London now join our once lonely dinner table every night.

It was nice especially when Niles dragged Liam over to visit after learning that I left the church. Seeing them occasionally made me reminisce about the old days when everyone gathered together, throwing around jokes and light banter with Master shaking his head in disapproval and Alvena giggling politely on the side.

But who was I to complain? I'm already blessed with Nero to spend my days.

Then one fine morning, while in the midst of finishing breakfast, Nero asked something out of the blue that shocked everyone at the table.

"Would you want to see Lucien?"

My eyes grew wide at the mention of the familiar name. Niles's earlier smile disappeared while the others didn't even bother looking up. Silence ensued all around, but Nero continued to look at me with all due seriousness.

He must've known. No matter how peaceful the days were, I wasn't completely satisfied. Seeing Master again brought me greater relief than I had imagined.

Seeing Lucien again...

Nero probably knew I was still missing that. He also wouldn't ask if he couldn't make it happen.

So without letting myself get too hopeful, but remaining as serious as he expects to me, I answer with a bold and honest, "Yes, I do."

"Then we'll head out after breakfast," Nero casually concluded before carrying on with his breakfast like any other perfect day.

*****

a/n(cont): I have finished the drafts of the rest of the story--as a way of showing gratitude in the name of Thanksgiving spirit for sticking with me for an entire year and a quarter span of time. 

The plan is to publish once a day until it ends. 

I worked hard on it. Looking forward to seeing you there :)