Chapter Nine

"Isn't it about time you stood on your own instead of sucking at your daddie's teat all the while?"

2 May 1946

"I'll kill the man!" Magnus roared. "Money or no, I'll kill him!"

"Magnus, no!" cried Glenna. "Think of the scandal!"

"Hang the scandal, the man's tried to abuse my daughter—his own son's wife! Where was that worthless husband of yours?" he asked Minerva.

"I don't know ... out ..." Minerva stammered.

"At the racetrack, I warrant," Magnus said. "Good-for-nothing whelp. I'm sorry I saddled you with him, Minerva."

"It's all right Father. I agreed to it."

"No, it isn't all right. Not at all. I thought it'd be best for you, that you'd be taken care of. Instead, I find that young scoundrel leaves you to the mercy of that sick bastard of a father. I should have known," he muttered, combing his fingers through his wavy hair.

Minerva hadn't expected her father to react so dramatically to her tale. She had hoped only that he would shelter her and Malcolm until she could figure out what to do next.

"Father, please. No heroics. I just want a bit of time to think. May we stay here for a few days?"

"Of course, Minerva," said Glenna.

"Think about what? You cannae go back to that house. I won't let you," Magnus said.

"I know, Father. But if I abandon Gerald, you'll likely have to return the money you got at our marriage. And the lease."

And I'll have to repay the money for my apprenticeship.

Goddamn Kenneth Macnair! She was close—only four months to finishing and attaining her mastery. If she had to abandon her studies to go out to work now, she might never have another chance to sit the exam. Everything would have been in vain.

"Do you want to leave Gerald?" asked Magnus.

It took her a moment to answer. "No. This wasn't Gerald's fault. His father is unstable, but I'm sure Gerald never thought he'd hurt me."