Chapter Forty-Two

"I've spent years wanting

"I've spent years wanting. Just now, I'd like to enjoy having."

6 August 1995

6 August 1995

Crack!

Hermione dropped the bag of owl treats, which spilled all over the floor. When the crack of the second Apparition came, she screamed, as much in frustration as in surprise.

"Look what you made me do!"

"Well, that's the thanks we get," said Fred, pushing the pile of Martin Miggs comics off of Ron's bed and flopping down on it.

"Why should I thank you for making me drop Hedwig's dinner?" Hermione bent down to collect the treats, blowing on each one to remove the dust as she dropped it back in the bag.

"Because," said George, sitting on the other bed, "we risked life and limb to bring you important information."

"What information?" asked Ron, who was watching two Chocolate Frogs hop across the small table.

"Chuck me one of those, and we'll tell you," said Fred.

Ron scooped up a frog and threw at Fred. It sailed past him and hit Hermione in the chest.

"Hey!"

"Sorry, Hermione."

"Well, I guess we can all see why they didn't make you a Chaser," George said to Ron.

"Come on, what's the news?" said Hermione. She picked up the moribund confection and tossed it pointedly in the rubbish bin.

"They're getting him today," said George.

"Getting who?" Ron asked.

"Harry," the twins said in unison.

"Today? Are you sure?" Hermione asked.

"Yeah," said George. "We heard Mum talking to Bill about it."

"When's he coming? How're they getting him?" asked Ron.

"Don't know." Fred patted his shirt pocket, out of which dangled a flesh-coloured string. "Mum discovered one of our little friends here before we could find out more."