⠀⠀𝟬𝟳. ❛ MEET ME IN THE SHADOWS ❜

Start from the beginning

     The two women started making their way down the hallway towards the Cortex. "So," Caitlin began, glancing over at the redhead. "How'd you get your powers?"

     At the question, Piper's ears perked. "On January seventh, twenty-ten, an explosion at Brenner Labs took out seven blocks. Many homes and businesses were destroyed. Hundreds of people were involved in peculiar accidents at the time of the explosion and were affected by the dark matter that came from the lab. I happened to be one of those people. I was struck by lightning while trying to help a man whose car broke down on the side of the road. I was messing with some of the wirings when the explosion hit. It emitted purple lightning across the city, and I was struck. I was in a coma for six months, and when I woke up, my city had been taken over by meta-humans, and it became my goal to get the city back. To save and help people."

     "Have you always wanted to help people?" the doctor asked.

     The latter shrugged. "Yeah, I suppose."

     The conversation ended as the two women entered the Cortex, joining everyone else.

     Piper made her way around the circle of computers and stood next to Joe, smiling at him. The detective returned the gesture right as somebody cleared their throat.

     "Can we get started?" Harry asked, rubbing his forehead while holding his glasses in his hand.

     The room was silent for a moment before Caitlin started talking, deciding to take lead in briefing everyone. "Wells and I finished the speed dampening serum, and Cisco found a breach that's located somewhere isolated and where people won't be around."

     "Tonight, Doctor Light and the Flash will go to the boating dock and play out the fake attack and death of our favorite speedster at eight o'clock." Cisco continued, and the redhead glanced over at Linda, sitting down in a chair with meta-dampening cuffs locked on her wrists. Barry was in his suit; arms crossed over his chest as he glanced over at Piper. The two locked eyes for a split second before the woman forced herself to look away, knowing she would tune everyone out if she continued to stare at him.

     "Joe, you and Dr. Wells will be positioned at the highest vantage points at the dock. Both of you will have guns that will shoot the speed dampening serum at Zoom when he comes through the breach." Barry stated, and the two men nodded. "Piper, you will stay here with Caitlin and Cisco."

     Piper's eyebrows raised considerably high, and a frown etched its way onto her face. "No, I'm not. I'm going with you."

     The scarlet speedster shook his head stubbornly, his lips pressed together tightly. "No, you're not. You're our greatest weapon and advantage. Zoom can't know you exist or see you."

     The redhead narrowed her eyes and let out a quiet breath, holding back the frustration that was boiling inside her. "I am not going to be sidelined, Flash. I'm faster than both you and Zoom and have powers that can come in handy. There's no way in hell that I'm staying behind."

     It was silent as everyone stared at the woman, some slightly startled by the serious tone in her voice.

     "All right, so Piper's going," Cisco declared, clearing his throat.

     Barry frowned deeply, a small sigh escaping his lips in defeat, knowing that as much as he didn't want her going, she was still going to regardless.