A New Normal: Part 1

"It was a vampire." Sam said to you in a gentle but deep voice.

You sat there clutching our coffee mug, staring down at the streams of syrup that were beginning to drip from the short stack Dean ordered for you.

What? This couldn't be real, there has to be a logical explanation to what attacked me. It was just someone who was having a bad trip, not a freaking vampire, you thought to yourself after they told you what goes bump in the night was real.

"No, it was just a person having a bad trip or something..." you shook your head, taking a bite of your pancake.

"I know thats what you want to think but, what attacked you it wasn't exactly human..." he paused when he saw your eyes laced with confusion, "Many monsters can look like regular people, like this person that attacked you tonight. It was a vampire, Y/N." He paused looking at you to see if things were finally clicking in your head.

"So, everything is real? Like really real?" You asked them, both of then nodding in unison. "Am I going to turn into one of them because he bit me..." your heartbeat increased at the thought of turning into a monster, like a real one...

"No. They can only turn you if their blood mixes with yours." Dean said taking a large bite and starting to chew the pile he just loaded into his mouth. You chuckled slightly seeing Sam's face, a mixture of disgust and amusement of his older brother.

"So, why was he trying to turn me and not just drink my blood?" You curiously asked Sam, Dean busy with chewing.

He sighed, "Well, Y/N. We're hunters, our job is to hunt these monsters and all others kinds of them and kill them. And to protect people like you." He paused. People like you...those words hitting you hard. "We were following his nest, its like a family of vamps that live and hunt together. And uh, Dean and I got almost all of them, except for this one. Since we killed everyone else in his nest, he was trying to,"

Both of you said together, "build another nest." You nodded, understanding finally.

"Yes." Sam nodded, taking a long sip of coffee.

"You know, this is a lot to go through in 5 hours. And a lot to wrap my head around at 3 in the morning at Josie's Diner, drinking stale coffee in Montana on a Tuesday." You rambled smiling allowing the realization to sink in, frustration slighting your voice. "I was a completely normal person with a normal job, a normal house, a normal life and now." You sighed "Hell, I don't know what I should do now, knowing what really is out there." The boys looked at you nodding, having heard this speech before.

"I know, it's a lot to take in at first." Dean said, taking a large bite of his eggs followed by a piece of bacon. "But, if you ever need anything, you can always call us. If it's our type of job then we will either help or send someone who can." He affirmed you, grabbing your hand and placing a fake FBI card into your palm.

You smiled a half smile, "Thank you, for all the two of you and all of the others do, it must be hard to do this and the rest of the world being completely unaware..." your voice trailed, you reached for your wallet, Dean stopped you.

"You're right, it is a lot to go through in 5 hours. A lot to wrap your mind around art 3 a.m. at Josie's diner drinking stale coffee in Montana on a Tuesday. It's our treat, Y/N." He finished, smiling at you and throwing cash down on the table. The three of you walked outside into the cold Montana morning air, "You got somewhere we can drop you off?"

"Um, yeah actually. I can stay at a friends house for a little until I figure out what I'm going to do about everything now." You answered back to them.

You climbed into the front sitting in the middle seat between the brothers tall and large frames.

Dean roared the Impala's engine to life and drove you to your friends house. You leaned into the passenger window, "Thank you guys, so much. I owe you...everything." You smiled and stood up straight backing away from Sam's window.

They smirked back to you, Dean yelled out the window, "You call us if you need us. Anytime. Anywhere. Got it?" You had your hands inside your coat pockets and nodded, the car soon disappeared and you retreated to the front door of your friend, Kelly's house.

"Y/N? What are you doing here? Is everything okay? Come inside, it's freezing." She said upon answering the door, moving aside allowing you to enter.

Is everything okay? Ha! Yeah that's what I would call it too, Kelly. Instead you just nodded, "Yeah, Kelly everything is fine. But um, there was an accident at my house and I can't stay there until it gets fixed, so I'm going to need to stay here for a couple days. Okay?" You asked, knowing that she would allow you to stay as long as you needed.

"Yeah of course, Y/N! C'mon let's go to bed. The guest bedroom is —"

"I know, I think I've been here a couple of times." You laughed, heading to bed.