Ch20 P3 - "My eyes!"

Yumi may have blushed harder than a maiden on her wedding night, but she knew what she wanted — and she really wanted to see Ren naked.

In the middle of the teahouse, she confessed everything that Kuro had wrung from her earlier. Her brother making the deal with Kuro for a shrine. The Sun Prince's alleged collusion with the Night Parade. The Shogun arranging for Kuro to enter Ren's household, knowing full well that Kuro was a Dark Kitsune who would bring disaster upon him. Who would end Ren and his line for good.

Ren wrenched out of Kuro's arms, before Kuro had the chance to give Yumi her promised reward. As if he would. Probably. Ren grasped the collars of his kimono in an clumsy attempt to cover his modesty like a merchant's daughter caught in the back alley with the delivery boy. Jaw clenched, he stared at Kuro, and then Yumi, and then back. His mouth opened and closed.

Kuro's eyes fluttered shut for a moment only long enough to think, Forgive me. "So the Shogun really is trying to murder you."

"Wait." The colour faded from Yumi's cheeks as she turned to watch Ren again. "You're the demon from the market."

"How can you tell?" Kuro asked. "His face is up there, not where you're looking."

"Demon?" Ren exclaimed. Oh yes, that was probably the more concerning part.

Yumi glanced at Kuro, her jaw working as she ground her teeth. "How did you cross the barrier?" she demanded of Ren. "My brother's work is impeccable!"

"I'm not—"

Yumi lunged forward, her fist landing where she was looking, which wasn't Ren's face. Ren released his kimono sleeves, but that was the punch's only effect. Yumi froze, her brow knit, confused. As she should be. Kuro always went flying, her spiritual power dancing over his skin.

She raised her other fist, but Ren caught her wrist, holding her still. "How?"

"Your spiritual powers won't work on him," Kuro said. "Neither will your precious brother's barrier."

"My brother's barriers—"

"Don't work on humans," he said.

Ren shoved her back. As powerful against Kuro as she was, she wasn't a trained fighter.

"Ren's human," Kuro said. "More than human actually. He's the Sun Prince."

Yumi dropped to her knees, face covered by her hands. "My eyes! Oh no, my eyes!"

To be continued...

A/N: Short update, but funny. What do you think: should Yumi have gotten her reward? Let me know in the comments.

And if you liked this chapter, please give it a VOTE and share the love. Thank you!

Last daily update! We are now all officially caught up. I'll see you again on Wednesday.  

Happy reading! ~Olivia