Ch 14 P2 - This. Is. History!

As soon as the Shogun disappeared from the veranda, Ren prodded Kuro with his folded fan. "Is this normal?"

Kuro slapped the fan away. His throat hurt from gekkering so long and his head ached from the Shogun's punishment for daring to do so. And now Ren pretended he hadn't seen the latter.

"I didn't know foxes... well, made noises."

What humans didn't know could fill a burial mound. "Well, I didn't know princes grovelled, so we're even."

Ren pinched his brow together.

"Although your grovelling far outpaces my gekkering. I have never seen such fantastic grovelling," Kuro continued. "Princes really do everything better than common folk, just as expected."

"I did not grovel," he said.

"Hmm, maybe grovel isn't the right word. You'll have to tell me, oh wise and learned one. Is there a word for when a stray dog begs for scraps? There must be a haiku you can quote me."

"We talked," Ren said. "I don't know how that constitutes begging."

"Only because the Shogun never gave you that vaunted 'good boy' you craved."

Ren fought to keep his face smooth, but his eyes squeezed shut and his brow furrowed.

"I don't even see why he bothered to come." Kuro waved his hand. "He couldn't have been more bored. He doesn't care."

"He cares. Of course he does. He's brought me mochi cakes ever since I was a toddler."

He brought bribes for Ren's affection. Why he bothered to spend the money when a pat on Ren's head swung Ren's favour so easily, Kuro didn't know. Kuro shrugged. "I guess he needs to check in on you to make sure the puppy keeps to his cage."

Ren slammed his hand on the planks. "Enough with the dog comparisons."

"Why?" Kuro flicked his fingers over Ren's crown, where Kuro's ears would be. "The only thing you lack, little pup, are the triangles on your head."

Ren raised his hand, not to slap away Kuro's wrist, but to block his hand. "What is wrong with you?"

Kuro crossed his arms, turning his head away as he closed his eyes. "Who wouldn't be peeved that you brought them into your palace to die?"

"Die? Uncle Gorou wouldn't hurt you. He knows you're a fox, but..."

The Shogun had murdered plenty of spirits before. "But when you get yourself killed trying to impress him," Kuro pointed to his own neck, "this is where his sword will end up."

The prince huffed. "I didn't know you cared."

"I know it's difficult for someone like you to understand, but I do like my head firmly attached to my neck."

"Yet you claim that you wouldn't bother to lift a finger to save me," he said.

Kuro snapped his jaw shut.

"So you do care," he said. "You just don't care about me."

"I'm embarrassed for you," Kuro snapped. "Bowing here, listening to you suck up to the Shogun when he doesn't give you two thoughts. Watching you moon over him like some besotted youth. No wonder you hid your fancy from me. It's so obvious you're head over heels in love with him. And he doesn't even see you."

"That's not true," Ren said.

"He pet your head like you were a mutt."

"He cares for me."