Chapter 37: New Beginnings

Start from the beginning

But now, that time had come to an end. 

Gerithor was the first to speak, clearing his throat to keep his voice from cracking with emotion. "We should depart if we want to reach the border by nightfall." 

Elessar nodded, biting his lip to keep his own emotions in check. "Indeed. There isn't a single decent tavern until there, so I assure you that you don't want to have to stop at one of the ones in between." 

Gilian forced a laugh. "That'd be a shame." 

Kalan coughed to get everyone's attention. "Let's stop these shenanigans and say goodbye already. I'm not one ta drew these things out, ya know." 

Gerithor nodded and embraced his cousin. "Farewell, my king. I shall bring honor to your name in the North." 

"I have complete faith in you, Gerithor," Elessar replied, returning the embrace. "Write as soon as you arrive in Fornost."  

"Yes, mother," Gerithor joked, taking a step back. Elessar embraced Gilian as well and shook Kalan's hand. 

"I had better return to my duties. I'm sure Arwen isn't pleased that I left her to deal with the affairs of the court by herself," he said with a smile, giving them all a final wave. "May Eru watch over you all." 

"And you," Gerithor replied, watching as Aragorn disappeared into the city. 

"Well, that just leaves us," Kalan said, his voice unusually deep. 

"Are you... Are you about to cry?" Gerithor asked, raising an eyebrow at the dwarf. 

"No, of course not!" Kalan replied gruffly. "Just got something stuck in my throat, is all." 

Gerithor rested a hand on the dwarf's shoulder. "We'll see each other again, I know it." 

"We better," Kalan growled, brushing his nose as he sniffed. "I'll have ta kill ya if we don't!" 

Gerithor smiled in response, a poor attempt to hide the tears that were welling up in his eyes. "Then come visit. Soon." 

Gilian nodded in agreement. "There'll always be a place at our table for you." 

"There better be! I'm gonna miss your beef stew more than I'm gonna miss both of you!" He snorted, shouldering his backpack with a brave look of determination. "Enough of this! We saved Middle Earth! We shouldn't be standin' here like a bunch o' teary-eyed elves!" 

Gerithor laughed. "Then what're you waiting for? Go!" 

Kalan nodded and slowly turned away. "Oh," he stopped, looking over his shoulder. "If ya ever visit Erebor, look up Lord Kalan." 

Before they had a chance to reply, he turned and hurried off down the road, leaving Gilian and Gerithor alone. 

"Lord Kalan sounds fitting," Gerithor said. 

"After all he's been through, he deserves at least that," Gilian agreed. She too shouldered her pack, casting one last look at Minas Tirith before returning her gaze to Gerithor. "Let's go home."

=======================

6 F.A., Outside Fornost

It was spring in Fornost, and bright yellow dandelions covered the verdant hills surrounding the city. Corn had just begun to spring up where new farm fields had been sown, shooting up towards the azure sky. Whitewashed ruins still dotted the landscape, the last reminders of the war that had once raged there. A small stream babbled alongside the main road, its crystal clear water fresh from its origins in the mountains that stood tall far in the distance.