Chapter 16 - The Trial

Start from the beginning

Hux's sneer increased at this. He had known the girl hadn't acted alone and was grateful for the outcome, but that Kylo had been the perpetrator of Supreme Leader's Snoke demise made his plan effortless and straightforward.

"You're with the girl now, found fleeing Fondor with her, having turned on your Knights. How can you deny this is not a collaboration with the Resistance? It explains all your failings as Supreme Leader and your assassination of Supreme Leader Snoke."

Kylo couldn't deny Hux's logic; what was his excuse? His mouth worked as he tightened his lips and raised his chin, glowering at Hux in defiance. Eventually, through gritted teeth, he responded.

"I wanted no harm to come to the girl, for her to be my apprentice and lead the First Order at my side." It was the truth, and he knew as he said it he'd provided Hux with everything to seal his fate. That was fine with him; he more than deserved to die for everything he'd ever done in service of Snoke and for the power the darkside offered.

"I believe Kylo Ren has given us the evidence we need. I believe Kylo Ren is guilty of collaborating with the Resistance, of treachery and treason and of assassinating Supreme Leader Snoke. The punishment for such treason is death. All those in favour, raise your hand." Grand Admiral Skalick spoke this time. Kylo recalled this man never spoke unless it was favourable for him to do so; it had made Kylo wary of him, more so than those who had liked to hear their own voices. An observant snake of a man with a long forehead in an equally long face that made him look like one. Kylo eyed the room as all but three of the leaders, General Targo, Admiral Deltan and Colonel Kramer, raised their hands. He remained emotionless and resolute. Hux stood, a gloating scornful sneer spreading across his face, eyes full of malice.

"Kylo Ren, you are sentenced to death by electroguillotine for your crimes against the First Order." Hux turned his attention to Rey. "Rey of Jakku, for your part in Kylo Ren's crimes, you are also sentenced to death by elecroguillotine." Hux raised his hand, "Chromia, take them back to their cells and make sure they are given...everything they need until we arrive at Ruusan."

Rage filled Kylo, and he was moving towards Hux, shouting, "Hux. You can't. It was me, all me. Let her go. Hux! Hux!" His shouts increased in volume till he was yelling in desperate fury. Hux had turned his back on him, however, and the stormtrooper holding his arm yanked him backwards. He elbowed the trooper in the helmet, but with the armour on, it barely made a difference to the stormtrooper's vice-like grip. He continued wrestling and bellowing as the chrome stormtrooper, Chromia, who was now at his side, hit him across the back with her staff. His wound screamed in pain, making him fall to his knees from all fours. He turned his head to stare venomously at her.

"Ben!" Rey's voice suddenly called to him. He turned from Chromia to Rey; she was shaking her head at him, holding her bound hands up with a pleading look. Don't do this. He thought he could hear her voice begging him inside his head. He took a deep breath, looking back at the floor, then slowly got to his feet, looking back at Chromia as boldly as he could; he composed himself and allowed himself to be escorted with Rey towards the elevator.

Inside the elevator, he purposefully eyed Chromia. The assassin was humanoid with yellow skin and red markings that made her face animalistic. Her eyes were the same, and her hair was bright red, no longer a wild flame billowing around her head but a braid running down the centre of her skull. His steadfast gaze did not bother her, and she fearlessly stared back.

"Are you Sith?" His Knights had joined her; she must be connected to the Force.

"I am of the darkness, but I am no Sith. I am....connected to the Force, but not on the same level as the pair of you." She glanced at Rey, "However, as I'm sure you are both aware, I have many other.... skills that make me powerful, perhaps more powerful than even you." She pointed her yellow finger at him and dared to touch his chest as she said 'you'. He knew his face was a grimace; his teeth were clenched so hard together they ached.