thirteen

B E C A

Today I was going back to school, I was absolutely dreading going back. It was defiantly easier to walk but my ribs did still hurt, the hospital said about 6 weeks and they should heal fully. Well, it has only been 4 days so I still look like the same. Bruises and cuts everywhere on my face, arms, legs, and stomach. I haven't spoken to Chloe since Sunday so I am not sure if she will talk to me today. Stacie texted me a few times to see what had happened and if I was okay but I said I was fine and was just sick.

Of course, she would know today. I did not want to go back to school when I was still looking like this but the teachers ended up calling my mother and telling her and I could both get in serious trouble for not attending, there was also no way I would be telling them what happened so without a reasonable excuse, I had to go back.

Dani dropped me off outside the main gate since she was on her way to class anyway. She was only 3 years older than me but she went to university to study Art and Design.

"Thanks" I mumbled

"If you feel like you need to come home, just text me and I will come and get you straight away," She told me

I nodded and got out the car. The minute I stepped onto the main school walkway, all eyes were on me. Great. Putting my hood up from my jumper, I walked into the school and headed straight to my first class. It was history so my teacher wouldn't care if I sat in 15 minutes before the class started.

Once I got into the class, I walked right to my seat at the back.

"Not allowed your hood up Bec" My teacher sighed

I sighed sadly, taking it down. He looked at me and his eyes went wide. See, that is what I don't want to happen every time someone looks at me.

"Jesus Beca, this is the worst I have ever seen you. I have not said anything every other time I have seen a bruise on your face but this time I am not holding back mentioning it. It is the school's job to protect students and to keep them safe and that is clearly not the case with you so you need to tell me what has happened so I can try and help sort this"

"It's nothing serious" I shrugged

"That is a lie. Covered in bruises, cuts, burns? Also the fact you have a broken arm. This shouldn't be what a school kid goes through so what is going on?" He asked me

"Stepdad. My sister has tried sorting it out but he always gets away with it! Please don't tell anyone!" I said quickly, instantly regretting what I had just told him

"I will have to do something but I won't tell anyone other than the school board okay? We need to try and get something sorted. No one deserves to go through something like this! Just go work on something in the library for today's lesson. See you tomorrow, alright?" He said

I only nodded and he gave me some work to do. Once I had gotten to the library I noticed Chloe was sat on one of the back tables with her headphones in.

Wasn't too sure if she would mind me sitting there but I did anyway. She looked up at me, giving me a small smile.

"Hey, I have missed you" She said

I smiled a little. Someone actually missed me?

She is only trying to be nice, no one misses you.

Idiot.

Chloe and I began speaking about some random things, she never once asked about the bruises which I was thankful for. I knew she wanted to ask but she has before and I have always kept it to myself and never explained. She didn't need to know about anything that man has done.