38.Race

"Oi, seriously...at least tell me what's happening, Lera!" Kaine questioned rather loudly. The guards seemed to glance our way but remained as they were seeing nothing.

"Kaine. I have suspicions about your arrival to the palace. Perhaps, if not so, I need to confirm it. For everyone's sake." I reasoned and kept walking ahead.

Kaine silently followed behind me. Even he knew something was odd. Which, at least, cleared my doubts about him being the mastermind of this case.

Once we reached the castle, I turned to Kaine. "Um..." I hesitated. I had no idea what I was trying to do by solving this case. I had my share of mysteries and I was more than eager to find out the truth.

"Can you take me to your sister?"

♢♢♢

Izana's P.O.V

It was getting more and more suspicious with the arrival of Kaine, his mother and his sister. Might it be a simple assumption but I didn't see a speck of Father's image in this man named Kaine.

Mother was hiding the truth. Whatever it was, I was going to find out. I was supposed to protect Lera and get married to her.

All of those would have been done if only they didn't appear...

"Damn it..." I mumbled as I went over to my chamber to take care of some paperwork. Just then, I encountered a certain someone who I had long forgotten about.

She looked at me sternly in the eyes before respectfully giving a proper curtsy. As proper as a commoner could be anyway.

"I see you've returned...." I said and she simply nodded her head. "Yes, I have, Prince Izana." She replied as she carefully pulled back the red strand of hair that was covering her face.

"You are going to have to aid me in a lot of things." I spoke and she looked at me in confusion. "Don't worry, if you turn out to be pretty helpful with this case, I won't ever trouble you again."

She seemed hesitant still but slowly started to understand what I was trying to do. Both she and I know very well that whatever I do is for the sake of Lera's happiness.

Of course, her happiness with me. And only me.

♢♢♢

Lera's P.O.V

"My name is Anri. Pleased to meet you, Princess." The fair-headed beauty greeted me. "No, please. I am no longer a princess. No need to be formal with me." I responded with a smile.

"No longer a princess...?" She asked and I nodded. I made sure Kaine wasn't listening because I needed to confirm everything before just randomly implying it in front of everyone.

"Do you perhaps have an idea that your mother might not be telling the truth?" I asked and Anri frowned at me. "That's so not true. Mom never lied, she really gave birth to the King's child." Anri retorted quite aggressively.

"I believe that part, Anri. What I am concerned is about a completely different thing..." I said and she tilted her head in hesitation.

"Have you never thought that you, Anri, might actually be that child and not your brother?"