10.Herbalist

Mitsuhide and I walked for minutes along the long hallway on the eastern wing of the palace. He wasn't a quiet man or an annoying one. He was fun to talk with and never tended to bore me.

"So, Zen already knew about the herbalist exam and Shirayuki already took it? And she passed?" I asked again, wondering all the precious news I had lost with Shirayuki and Zen after I had last seen them.

"She passed with flying colors and now, she's working with Ryu as an apprentice. Though I surely hope she becomes less aggressive. She scolded a court officer for talking about Ryu behind his back." Mitsuhide chuckled and I laughed.

"I guess...that's Shirayuki for you!" I commented. "So whatever does Zen want with me?"

"Oh," he stopped. "I think it's better if you see for yourself." he said and opened the door to his left and the both of us entered the room.

"Zen!?" I squealed when I saw a worn-out Zen laying on the floor. It appeared as if he had worked himself to exhaustion. I quickly hurried over to him and got him up with the help of Mitsuhide.

"Zen! I told you to take a rest. Why ever did you start working again?!" Mitsuhide grunted as he settled Zen onto a cushioned couch.

Instead of replying to him, he finally noticed I was there and turned to me. He was calm at first but his eyes widened as he took hold of my hand.

"Lera!? Mitsuhide! Why is she here???" Zen asked and Mitsuhide shrugged lightly before sighing. "Well, just consider looking into a mirror. You kept saying Lady Lera's name for the past few hours so I thought bringing her would freshen you up."

"What's wrong, Zen? Are you sick perhaps? Should I get a nurse?? What can I do for you??" I asked worriedly. "I'll go get help if you need it." Mitsuhide said and Zen simply shook his head.

"No, it's fine. Mitsuhide." Zen said. "You should rest too. That last task worn both of us out." "If you wish so." Mitsuhide said and left after Zen dismissed him.

"Lera?" Zen called to me. "Y-Yes!?" I asked and I got sat down next to him since he wasn't letting go of my hand. "I want you to stay near me right now."

"Of course I will! Rest all you want, Zen! I won't let anyone interrupt your sleep." I declared and he smiled at me. "If you say so." he said and laid his head onto my lap as I tensed up.

"Um..Zen? This position is a bit.." I stopped complaining. He was already asleep. I took a look at his sleeping face. He eyelashes were sticking out and he looked very cute.

I ruffled his hair to help comfort him and supposedly hummed a song as well. I hoped my voice won't wake him up though.

Soon after, my eyes were feeling drowsy and heavy. It was long after that I was driven to sleep.

♢♢♢

"..a!" a voice called out to me. It was a boy but my vision was so blurry I couldn't make out who he was. "You love me, don't you?"

Without my consent, my head naturally nodded on its own making the boy smile and take me into his arms. His embrace was so calming and I felt like I could stay within his hold forever.

After a while, he broke the hug and took out a material of some sort from his pocket. "I want you to have this, so that I can find you and marry you when we grow up!"

I was confused. Who was this boy? I looked at what he gave me. It was a rose emblem crest. The symbol of Clarines.

"Until the time comes, we will not be meeting each other but when the time comes, I expect you to rush all the way to me, alright?"

"Sure." I answered. The boy hugged me once more before going back to wherever he came from. I stood there stunned and sorrowful and only went back to my home until who knew when.

Then, I was brought back to reality. My eyes fluttered open and the lights were blinding until I adjusted to them. The thing was that I was really sad when the boy from my dreams left.

So sad that I cried lots at my room thst night. And now, I felt my tears streaming down my face. I didn't wipe them just yet. It was a relief to let all my sorrows from the past out.

"Lera, why, why are you crying!?" Zen's voice surprised me and I finally noticed him sitting not very far from where I was. "Are you sick!?! Perhaps a nightmare?!" he asked worriedly while getting close to me.

He took my hand in his to comfort me. I gently shook my head to assure him. "It's nothing, it wasn't a nightmare but it was a blissful lament."

A blissful lament?

Or a sorrowful bliss?

I will have to find out.