Chapter 22 | okay

Live Our Lives So Well That Death Will Tremble To Take Us.

| - |

I rush to him, without hesitating, kneeling idly beside him. My brother's breathing accelerated, before evenly out into slow, desperate begs of mercy.

"No, no, no, no. Brett? Man, speak to me." I panic, shaking his shoulder carefully as I try not to add to the damage to his chest. "Hold on, irmão. You're going to be fine, we're going to get you help. Just..Just stay awake, I can't lose you. Fuck, I can't lose you." Blood stains my hands, like a poison. Sticking to me, burning my skin. "Please, I'm begging you. We're going to get through this."

Most of the Diamonds rushed to Bodhi's side, yet the knife in his shoulder didn't appear to as much as a threat.

"It hurts." He whimpers, choking slightly. "Kill-Killian."

Skylar Rossi sits across from me, pressing down on the wound in a bid to keep the blood in.

I shush him, flattening his hair with the palm of my hand. "Sh, sh. It's okay, irmãozinho. You're going to be okay, you're going to be okay."

"Please don't kill me. Please." The raw desperation in his tone hurt. Brett never showed weakness, he never showed vulnerability. Confusion consumed me when I first heard his words, but I understood after a moment. Our dad used to tell us that the moment we can't fight is the moment we might as well die. If one of us ever became useless or incompetent to our families cause, we'd die.

We all knew that.

"I don't want to die."

"You'll be okay." The lie slips from my tongue so easily, I mutter. "Fuck."

Rochelle's eyes caught mine, they wavered as she struggled with the decision.

"He won't survive them injuries, K." She muttered softly, sympathy consuming her golden brown iris'.

Another wave of pain flashed over my brother's face, his eyes clenched as he cried out. Red liquid appeared along the side of his mouth. Sky's hands shook as he attempted to put pressure on Brett's chest. Rochelle stared at him in worry.

No.

No, no, no, no.

I can't lose him. We can't lose him.

He's one of us, he's a part of us.

Sky pulled back, still shaking. A gun, which lay deserted next to him, was soon in his hands. He trembled, stray tears decorating his face.

"I can't. I can't." He sobbed brokenly, dropping the pistol and staring at his blood stained hands.

"It's not your fault Sky; We can't save everyone." Rochelle caught my gaze once again, hesitation sweeping through them like a blanket of darkness. I knew she was trying to talk to me with her eyes, trying to say the words she couldn't speak out loud.

There are some lines that you can't uncross.

"Move out the way, kid." She ushered gently, "I'll do it."

I covered my eyes and all I could hear was the gun being lifted again and my brother's desperate cries. I knew there was no saving him.

I hear her kneel down, I open my eyes to see her pulling Brett's head onto her lap so he could see her face.

"Brett, listen to me okay?" She spoke quietly, "I need you to tell me what you want me to do. We can't stop the blood loss, so either we let that continue or I," She paused, swallowing. "Or one of us ends your pain."