Chapter 1 - SOS Text

Start from the beginning

Parker laughs and turns back to start making his food. "Get some sleep, ya? I'll wake ya when I get back so you can finish."

"Do you promise?" Elli raises a brow, hand going to the top of her laptop and preparing to shut it.

"Promise." Parker looks over his shoulder, all joking washed away from his voice and expression.

"Fine." Elli says, laptop shutting.

She picks up her mug and walks over to Parker. She rests it on the countertop by him and goes to the fridge, plucking out his coffee creamer. Elli pours just the right amount into the mug and Parker just smiles while he cracks an egg onto the pan. After she puts the creamer back, she stands at Parker's side and rests her forehead against his bare shoulder. His chest rumbles with a laugh as he glances down to her.

"I'm gonna be so mad if you don't wake me up."

"I'll wake you, I promise." Parker presses.

Elli looks up and reaches for the mug, handing it to Parker. "I'm begging."

Parker takes a sip and hums with delight. "I'll set my own alarm so I remember." Parker pulls out his phone and sets an alarm for the time he'd return to the apartment. He flashes Elli the alarm screen that reads 'wake Elli'.

"Thank you." Elli says, holding out the ending sound of 'you'.

"Ya know, I'd do anythin' for ya." Parker presses a kiss to the top of her head. "Now, sleep. Please."

"Okay, okay." Elli says, giving Parker a gentle smile before backing away and heading to her room.

Polaroids hanging from fairy lights decorate the top part of Elli's blue walls, wrapping all the way around. The photos are all ones she took and they vary from concerts she attended with Parker and Collyn to family gatherings to college graduation. There are photos of just Collyn and just Parker, just her family. They're all different but all hold a special place to Elli. Every photo tells a story and the ones around her room are no different.

Elli plops down on her bed, head hitting the pillows and her bed has never felt so comfortable. It's eight in the morning but feels like it's after midnight. The exhaustion starts taking over as she sinks into her bed, pulling a thin blanket over herself, thinking she's lay there for a few minutes before actually getting under the covers and getting more comfortable. That didn't last long, however. In seconds, Elli was completely asleep, not even an earthquake could wake her.

Meanwhile, Parker is sat at the table, scarfing down his breakfast. He probably should have woken up early but he likes his sleep a little more than Elli does. Elli is a bit of a workaholic sometimes while Parker, he knows when to sleep and take his breaks. He wishes Elli would listen to him more even. It hurts a bit when he walks into the kitchen some mornings to see her falling asleep in front of a screen. At least when she used to do it, it was over a textbook but this is just sad.

She works herself to the bone but never gets sleep. But, Parker knows it's her dream and the way her entire being just radiates a warmth and energic feeling the second she gets a job and works through it, it's everything. She reminds him of himself when he's on stage or on his show. Living the dream even when it's hard.

Parker finishes his food and immediately heads to the shower to get ready to leave. The good thing about his morning job is that he doesn't have to spend much time in getting ready. He can take a quick shower, toss on a pair of sweats and a hat and go for the door. A beautiful upside of having a job where his viewers don't actually see him. And, there might also be a plus side of Parker putting a hat on his wet hair. Elli will help fix it before he goes out later and Elli never fails to make sure he looks perfect.