Chapter two: Silent Pleas

Ikebukuro, an expensive apartment, 4:30 pm

Two adults sat in front of a large screened television, a small black console controller in each of their palms. Their fingers vigorously mashed the buttons and their hands dripped with cold sweat, as if they were in a race.

This was a normal afternoon for them, a few rounds of competitive video games which usually led to long arguments and even a few punches along the way. This was their usual couple bickering and activities, and their relationship seemed much like that of a normal dysfunctional pair of lovers...

If it weren't for the fact that one of them didn't have a head.

The woman of the pair, Celty, was not human.

She was a Dullahan. A creature from Irish folklore who was much like the Headless Horseman. A human like figure who would hold their severed head by their side, as they rode their horse pulled carriage to warn people of their impending death.

But, strangely enough Celty did not even have that severed head, as it had been stolen from her back in her home country.

Now she was living in Ikebukuro, the place she knew held her head, with her doctor boyfriend, Shinra. Wearing a biker's outfit instead of traditional armor, and riding a motorbike instead of a horse, she learned to live side by side with modern day humans.

Now she simply no longer cared about the search for her head anymore, as she already had a great life here. A life of adventure, friendship and love.

Shinra struggled at the multi colored buttons on his game controller, flying from side to side on the couch like some sort of animal. While Celty sat there calmly using her shadows to effortlessly hover over the buttons, easily winning the old school racing game they were currently playing.

'Jeez Celty, can't you just let me win this once!' The doctor whined, his body weakly hunched over his controller in a sulking manner.

The headless woman to his left shook her helmet from side to side, pulling up her precious black PDA and device that allowed her to communicate with her lover.

'What would be the point in that? If I just let you win, the game wouldn't be any fun.'

Shinra slumped down into the couch cushions, his face mimicking that of a young child having a tantrum. 'I guess you're right, Celty. Although, this isn't much fun for me.'

Celty quickly typed something with her shadow in response, before shoving the text message into her roommate's face. Her shoulders heaved up and down like she was giggling.

'Seeing you act like this is more fun for me than any game.'

Shinra bolted upright as he read the taunting message. An expression of extreme hurt and anger quickly decorated his face like he was about to burst into a humiliating childish outburst.

He put a finger in the air and opened his pouting mouth.

Seconds before he could respond in frustration, a loud knock radiated from the apartment's front door.

'Who could that be?' Celty typed in a fraction of a second, to seemingly no one in particular.

'It's probably just one of my clients...' Shinra heavily sighed in response to the unexpected disturbance, pulling his suddenly tired limp body from the couch. 'I hope it's not Mr. Shiki again, I don't think I'll be able to deal with anymore gang related injuries today.'

He moaned and groaned about his fellow associates like a toddler, slowly shuffling to the opening of the apartment.

Despite how much he loved his job, he loved his headless girlfriend more, and all he wanted to do at that moment was to cuddle and hangout with her, even though she'd probably punch him in the process. The last thing he wanted to do was pull some illegal bullets out of a criminal's bicep.