➵ VII. Flawless Suspicion

Start from the beginning

I feel her presence fade from my mind, and stop using my power. A small smile plays on my lips as I stare up at the bedroom ceiling.

"Reina!" Killian's voice shots from downstairs. "You coming or what?! We can and will leave without you!"

I smile fondly and get up, grabbing my bag and heading down the steps. Chase and Rhea were picked up by a pack caretaker half an hour ago. Killian, Clove and Zaine, who's in his normal male form, are waiting for me by the front door.

I put on my coat and shoes quickly and we leave, stepping outside into the cold winter air. There's no snow on the ground, but it's supposed to snow tonight.

Clove breathes out, watching her breath come out in a frosty puff. Killian has his arm around Zaine's waist, holding his body close to keep him warm. Zaine is smiling at Killian's worry and kisses him on the cheek. Clove and I send each other happy smiles, knowing the two of them aren't going to let anything else ever come between them.

"You wanna race there?" Killian asks.

"Ugh, no," Clove replies. "You always cheat, Flash."

"I promise I won't use my power," Killian says.

"You always do anyway," I chime in.

"Please," Killian whines, making his best puppy eyes. "I swear, I won't this time."

"Aw," Zaine coos. He grins, squishing his boyfriend's cheeks and moving Killian's head so he's looking at Clove and I. "How can you say no to that face."

"Easily," I reply, "I'm not smitten with him. But fine, I'll run."

Clove groans but nods. "Fine, I will too."

Killian grins and starts counting down. "3... 2... 1... Go!"

All four of us take off running. We split up a little to doge trees, but we all stay within eyesight of each other. I hear Zaine laughing and whooping as he runs, jumping over bushes and such. Killian is in the lead, even without using his power to enhance his speed. Then Clove, Zaine and I are pretty much even with each other, right on Killian's tail.

My backpack is bouncing crazily with my running, its weight going all over and annoying me. There's nothing I can really do about it though, so I do my best to ignore it.

Knowing we're almost to the school, I push myself to run faster. In the last moments of the race, I manage to pass Killian, but just by a foot. I slow and start walking, letting my heart beat go down. My friends do the same, all of us breathing heavily.

I notice a few of the other students watching us as they arrive and head inside. I ignore them, I don't care what they think.

Nice, Reina, Clove says.

Thanks. We all did well, I reply.

For our role in the Royals, yeah, we did, Killian adds. I'm one of the best warriors, speed is key in battle. Clove is a techie, but a warrior too. And Zaine, the spy, and again, also a fighter. And of course, her majesty, the queen.

I roll my eyes but smile. Bow down bitches.

Bow down bitches, bow-bow down bitches, Zaine sings, smiling tiredly. Ladies tell 'em I woke up like this, I woke up like this... Bitch, I'm flawless.

You sure are, Killian says, kissing Zaine's cheek and making his smile widen.

"Alright, I'm cold, let's go in," Clove grumbles.

Chuckling, I start walking towards the school doors, with the others walking beside me. When we step in, we're met with a small rush of warm air. Clove sighs in content and her slight shivering eases.