The Fear She Couldn't Face

"So, are you Dauntless born or a transfer?" An Erudite woman asks me.

"Transfer."

She scribbles it down on her clipboard and then looks back up at me. "From where?"

"Erudite."

"Why'd you leave?" She asks.

"I was never smart enough. Always getting C's in school. Wasn't fit for it." I tell her, crossing my legs.

"Where did you rank in initiate training?"

"Second." She nods and writes that down as well.

"And what job did you choose Ana?"

"An initiate trainer."

"Like Four."

"Yeah," I mutter. "Just like Four."

"So as we all know, he has four fears. How many do you have?"

"Four."

"You and him are very much alike." I roll my eyes. Like I cared. "Mind if I asked what they are?"

"Sure. Heights, drowning, my ex-boyfriend, and public embarrassment."

"So you're Dauntless correct?" She asks again.

"Well duh," I sneer. "Why else would I be wearing these clothes?"

The woman straightens up in her seat and purses her lips. "No need to get smart with me Ana, I can easily go to your superiors about this."

"You mean Eric?" I laugh a little. "And Max? I was their favorite during training, like they'd do anything to me." I tell her, impatiently picking at my black nail polish.

"So why did you choose Initiate training instead of Government if you're so close with the leaders?"

"Government is not my thing. I don't like being in charge to the extreme they are. But being in charge of the initiates is fun, they're so weak and inexperienced. It's entertaining to watch."

"So I see you have the Dauntless flames tattooed on your wrist. Have you put the Erudite symbol anywhere?"

"Nah," I drag the word out. "I didn't see the need to. Faction before blood. I could care less about my old faction, it doesn't matter anymore."

"Anyway, how's training the initiates going?" She asks curiously.

"It's going," I laugh. "There's this one girl, a stiff, who is so pathetic. She won't last long."

"Who is she?"

"Tris Prior. She's one of the weakest transfer's here."

"So, how is it training beside Eric and Four?"

"Eric is awesome to train with, he brutal with them. Like he should be." I smile a bit. "And Four, he's too soft, hardly Dauntless." I scoff.

"Did you know that Four was Abnegation born?" The woman informs me.

"That explains it then. Stiff's don't belong in Dauntless, they're so weak and kind. Not like they need to be here."

"So you told me your reason for leaving Erudite was because you weren't smart enough. I know that isn't the whole truth. Is it because of your ex-boyfriend?"

"No." I tell her, staring at my lap.

"You're lying. Tell me the truth."

"How can you tell? You're not Candor."

"Candor-born."

"Whatever." I roll my eyes.

"Now, tell me the truth. You said your ex-boyfriend was in your fear landscape. Is that why you left? What did he do to you?"

"All right," I all but yell. "That's enough. I'm leaving."

"Is it true that you would kill him the first chance you had?"

"Yes, he betrayed me and my trust in him. He hurt me and he can never take that back."