Chapter 16

She sent a quick message through her Renegade wristband, which she had neglected wearing a lot but was glad she had now.

"Hey Jen, we might have some company soon, just probably a good idea to hide." She warned, climbing back up the rope, her bag back on her back, swinging as she pulled herself up as fast as she could, reaching the top twice in a row at top speed. A silence came over the gym; Natalie sat at the top of the rope, not moving, whilst Jen had hidden herself in another room, realising the danger in Natalie's words. The silence echoed every small noise either of them made, but the silence was also deafening. A moment later, the door creaked and Natalie threw herself flat on the floor of the platform, moving forward until she could see just over the top of the platform but no one would be able to see her. She could feel as her ears slowly changed into those of her black cat for better hearing, protruding from the top of her hair which was falling in her face.

"You search the back. You search the front and desk. I'll find Natalie." A familiar voice ordered and Natalie squeezed her eyes shut, her heart pounding.

"Natalie... come out, come out, wherever you are..." the voice taunted, his footsteps making their way around the gym as his men searched the other parts. A tub fell over and Natalie opened her eyes. He was there, right in front of her.

"Natalie. If you don't come out now, we'll kill your sister. We have her in our hideout. We will do it." The voice threatened, and Natalie's heart sank. The Renegades were too slow. She slowly stood up, not making a noise. "Natalie..." The voice slowly teased. His steps had become almost threatening.

"Found someone!" Someone yelled and Natalie spun to see Jennifer being dragged out from the room she hid in, her eyes wide with fear. The familiar man walked over to Jennifer and pulled out a knife.
"Nat, if you don't come out, we'll kill her where she stands." He threatened, holding the knife to her throat. Natalie's breath caught in her throat.

"She's not here." Jennifer defended, shaking with fear.

"I know she's here, don't lie to me." The knife pressed harder into her throat and Natalie's shoulders went back and her expression steeled. She left her bag behind her and started shimmying down the rope.

"Nat!" The voice yelled again, and Natalie stood on the ground, able to see him clearer. His clothes had holes in them and he had a mask on his upper face. He had a shadow of stubble on his face, something Natalie had never seen him have. "We'll kill her!" Natalie took a step forward, but he was still facing away from her.

"You and I both know you're far too much of a coward to do something that drastic, Matt. But I guess I can be wrong sometimes. I should have known that you were never on my side." She sneered as all of the men spun and looked at her.

"Natalie." Matt breathed.

"No!" Jennifer cried, stumbling forward as one of the men held her back.

"What do you want, Matt?" Natalie asked, her face blank. Her hand started to shake but she pressed it against her side to stop it.

"You, naturally." He grinned.

"Yeah, sure. And what do you want with my sister?" She asked, anger starting to form on her face.

"We wanted you and she would get us to you." He replied.

"And what do you want with Jennifer?"

"Her?" He asked, pointing a thumb over his shoulder at the quivering girl. "She was just a way for us to get to you. As a Renegade, you're naturally attracted to helping those in need. I knew you'd come out when you saw that knife against her throat." As he spoke, the man holding her lifted a knife to her throat again.

"Let her go, Matt." Natalie fixed her gaze on the owner of the gym. "You wanted me, and now you've got me." Natalie looked up at Matt, her face expressionless again.

"I'm afraid I can't do that, Natalie. You see, if I released good old Jenny, then she would rush to contact the Renegades, and I can't have that."
"Then take me now and let her go. She did nothing to deserve this." Natalie insisted.

"Natalie, no!" Jennifer replied, her eyes wide. Natalie reached a hand to her wristband and began recording the proceedings.

"Shut up. And she's right, Nat. You're more likely to cooperate with us with her in danger." He smiled, looking far more evil than Natalie had ever seen him.

"What happened to you, Matt? You were never like this." Natalie said softly, taking a cautious step towards the man. Matt's expression became confused, his eyes clouded, until he shook his head and the dark expression came back.

"I've always been like this, Natalie Artino. You were just too blind to see it!" He yelled back, and Natalie froze.

"My name is Natalie Walter. Your memory must be fading Matt. You were never too good at remembering facts. Especially when it doesn't involve you." Natalie shot back, her body language returning to normal.

"Oh, I'm especially good at facts that involve you, Miss Artino." He replied, smiling at her creepily.

"Okay, first, creepy. Second, what?" She replied, squinting in confusion. "Have you been stalking me?" Her eyes narrowed accusingly, watching as the Renegades slowly entered the room behind the men and Jen.

"I wouldn't say that I've been stalking you, just doing some... extensive research." He said, his eyes glinting.

"Okay, so, stalking." She replied, pushing her shoulders back as she stood straight. The Renegades were close behind them now. Hugh nodded at her. Whenever she's ready.

"But there's one slight thing you've forgotten, Matt." Natalie said, a smile forming on her face. She gave a slight nod to Hugh. "I'm also a Renegade, and I will do anything to protect those who are in danger." 

Hey guys! How is everyone? I'm sorry it's taken me this long to update, I've had no motivation and I've had a bit of work to do, but I think this chapters okay. On another note, thank you so much for 2.1k reads!! I saw that the other day and I was so excited! I hope you guys enjoy this chapter! :)