5: Tia Taylor

5: Tia Taylor

          The negativity started to slow once the fourth post was uploaded. People were starting to understand her intentions, and they were embracing the encouragement of individuality. A few people even started subscribing to the blog, so they'd get instant email notifications before Belle could send them out herself.

            But people were still curious about who she was and rumours spread through the school like wildfire; some hilarious, some disturbing, some ridiculous ideas about the anonymous that ran Birthday Suits. Belle engaged in each of these conversations, bringing forth all kinds of names to the plate of possibilities. Then, at night, she'd sit at her desk with a snack and write up a blog post about a new individual.

              Over the weekend, Belle drew up a chart of her peers, planning and organising what she'd write about each one and when she'd post it. The poster was hung on her wall, sticky notes scattered across the sheet of paper, dot points scribbled in various places, names highlighted in different colours. While she created the chart, she'd often listen to a playlist on YouTube. Between songs, there were advertisements, some of them long, some short with a skip button that Belle impatiently tapped. Most of them were repetitive, but one particular clip caught her attention. It was promoting a new Maybelline mascara, promising longer, voluminous eyelashes.

            This instantly got Belle thinking about both girls and boys in society and how there were social expectations about the application of make-up. For boys, it was almost frowned upon, because make-up was considered as feminine. But when girls wore it, they were instantly sluts.

            A particular individual in her class came to mind: Tia Taylor. A girl with red lips and freckles. A girl who was labelled as a 'tart' because she liked to wear lipstick. A girl who was said to apply her make-up incorrectly because she didn't use concealer to hide her freckles. A girl that didn't deserve the hate she received.

            So, Belle wrote the post on Tia and it was posted on Monday.

            Why are there so many rules about the application of make-up? Boys should avoid it, girls shouldn't wear too much of it. Honestly, it's ridiculous. If something makes you feel beautiful, don't let society manipulate you into stopping. Tia Taylor is honestly breathtaking. Want to know why? Because, through the use of lipstick, she emphasises her beauty and highlights the wonder of the freckles. She emphasises the features that make her feel beautiful, so who is society to say, that her freckles are flaws and should be covered? Tia is confident with her skin, and the only thing that isn't beautiful, is the attitude some people have to make-up. Tia Taylor may not think she's beautiful, but I do.