Aftermath (Small Extra)

Devin's POV

I awoke to the sound of crashing waves and cries of seagulls. There was a breeze coming through the window chilling, the bedroom this fine morning air. The sunlight was streaming through the curtains. But I wasn't ready to get up, not yet. To comfortable and too content, wanting nothing.

Beside me I felt a stir, a movement. I didn't dare to move as I gaze upon the gorgeous beauty, that is mine.

His name is Ethan. My sweet and adorable Ethan.

I want everybody and everyone to know that he is mine, and mine alone.

He is very precious to me. Very precious.

However my need to let the whole world know that he is mine, caused me to do the one thing I vowed not to do. To hurt him, in any shape or form.

I know the relationship he has with his family is a complicated one. And I'm only considered an outsider to the battle raging on between them, but it still hurts knowing he'd said not, a world, about our relationship to any member of his family. Not even a single hint.

My hurt only increased when his brother, in a conversation we had, talked about that younger brother of his, named Ethan. A disappointment to the family. Is living with this guy. His boyfriend, that he run away with, so many years past. The guy being that asshole of an ex, Roan.

I thought I could understand, why Ethan didn't bother telling them. I thought I could pretend that it didn't bother me. But it did and I took that hurt and frustration out on Ethan.

I couldn't understand why I said what I said. That our relationship should be friends until this case with his family is resolved. That's not what I want.

What I want, is to be with him. I said all those hurtful things in the heat of the moment and only when the anger cooled,vdid I realize the damage I had done.

For the first time, I was confused at how I was going to resolve this. I could alway come up with a plan. Though this tine round, I drew blanks. I needed a way to fix this.

That memory of me slamming the door on him, burned into my subconscious. Hearing him pounding at my door, pleading, but found myself refusing to listen. Only when it stopped did I opened the door to find him having fallen a sleep from exhaustion.

Only then did I truly came to grips with just what I had done.

I carried him to bed that night, filled with regret. How could I have hurt the one person that meant the most to me? I laid him to bed, he looked so peaceful and so beautiful. It made even more guilt ridden for what I done.

Then I made a promise. I will do whatever I can to win the case. It was the only redemption I could offer for hurting him. And remove this rift between us.

I spent all my hours pouring over the case, trying to see all the angles. I had to have something, for Simon to work with and to ensure a victory. Little did I expect, that my intern junior would caught in an accident. Leaving me to be the primary attorney on the Rein corporation's case.

It was a sign. I was meant to solve this.

There was something. Something a little out of place that unsettled me. I decided it had to be looked at. So I called in a favour, from a friend. I also needed to check something in the company's records, that's why I needed to come to where their headquarters were located.

I was foolish, to not realize that all that investing my focus into this and placing my attention away from Ethan, would cause him more pain. More than I already had.