Chapter 13

How long to you think that it will take Jean to figure out where we are and show up?" Magneto was of mixed feelings regarding Jean Grey. He had been there when Charles had comforted the family that wanted their daughter stifled. She had been a mutant of extreme ability, but she was far too aware of that power, difficult to control and likely to become a liability at some point. Avalon would be able to match her and keep her contained but so much of his plans already relied on the young mutant. "We must plan for the Homo Sapiens next move and cannot wait around for any one mutant."

Harry tilted his head slightly and hummed as Jean Gray's presence licked along his senses. "She is not too far from here now, it appears as if she stole a motorcycle from the mansion. She was at least intelligent enough to remove the tracker, so we won't have that to worry about. There is something that we must do now though."

"Oh, and what would that be?"

"I am picking up on the transport of several fairly useful mutants by the military. Apparently, they are all guilty of using their powers to break the law. One is capable of making countless, fully independent copies of himself, another is the mutant equivalent of a wreaking ball and there is one that is capable of great speed." Harry sighed and rubbed the bridge of his nose, all of this power usage and dealing with other people was beginning to give him a permanent headache. "The transports are armed with the new 'Cure' so it would likely be best if I went in first with Gambit and Wolverine as backup. I can disable the weaponry, Gambit has enough empathetic control to manipulate the captives and Wolverine is immune to the 'Cure'."

"Why is the feral immune and what exactly is this 'Cure' supposed to do?" Mystique was both interested and repulsed by the idea of a cure, it wasn't a disease, but it would be nice to be able to look in the mirror and see her own face looking back at her. It had been so long that she really didn't know what she would look like as a human.

"The 'Cure' is based off of the DNA of a mutant capable of disabling the mutations of other mutants. Within a certain distance of him is a zone that no regular mutant can cross without becoming powerless. The liquid that they have manufactured works in much the same way from the inside. Logan's body possesses multiple mutations, while the liquid attempted to change his feral mutation, the healing factor would push the 'Cure' out of his body through sweat, tears, blood or regurgitation. Any mutant with multiple mutations would likely only lose one mutation or would be weaken other than those that are both telekinetic and telepathic as those are linked. The major problem with the 'Cure' from the humans' viewpoint will be the fact that it is as temporary as the mutation of the mutant that they got it off of. The more powerful the mutant the sooner the effects would be overcome. I can estimate that the average mutant would likely be put under for more than a year but one of Magneto's power level would begin to see it wear off in a month."

"So, the only way for this 'Cure' to be what the humans want is for it to be regularly supplied to the populace." Magneto could think of several ways for this to go wrong, putting the 'Cure' into the drinking water was one way he would think to distribute it that would be hard to counteract.

"Exactly. This however would be costly and likely to fail as the mutants' bodies would eventually build up a tolerance to the serum and it is unlikely that they would be able to synthesize the serum without the original mutant nor would they be able to make enough of it to properly distribute it in such a fashion with their current resources."

(M)

"So, what be the plan, mon petit?" Gambit was leaning against a tree watching the highway that Harry had picked as the route of the prison transport that they would be liberating shortly. He was looking forward to it, sticking around the warehouse was getting a little boring.