Chapter 8

Mon angel, why you be following the mad man out there?" Remy could tell that the little one didn't share the same goals as the older mutant he was following and was rather interested in why he decided to help him.

"I follow him for now because he came to an agreement with my aunt for the time being. If he goes back on his end of the bargain or changes his mind I will end my service and return to my family." Harry found the presence of the feral and the thief to be rather soothing as both of their minds were for the most part closed off. Occasionally a thought or memory would slip through but it wasn't something that he could understand, though he sometimes picked up similar thoughts flowing between his aunt and uncle. "He is to put a stop to his plans for mass genocide and instead focus on making mutants capable of carving their own place in the world. It is unlikely that normal human beings will ever accept mutants as equals or betters so it would be to our best advantage to separate ourselves as much as possible."

"Yeah, humans ain't known for playin' nice with others." Logan chewed on the end of a cigar he swiped from Alkaline Lake and looked out of the window of the warehouse they were held up in. "There were all the religious wars and witches burning along with people who just killed others that were only slightly different for sport. Having a place to call our own that we could focus on defending instead of everybody just trying to look out for themselves would be a nice change, though I don't know if old metal face is the one that can pull something like that off."

"He stands a better chance than most as he sees that there will likely be very little choice." Harry looked at his hands for a moment before seeming to come to a decision and steadying himself. "Mutants are not the first split in the human genome. The witch burnings were far more literal than anyone thinks though there were very few actual witches killed." The surprised looks were almost enough to make him chuckle. "The witches and wizards have been around much longer than mutants of course and managed to completely shut themselves off from those that don't have magic though every leader of every country is made aware of them when they take office. It is something that we would benefit from if we could copy it but also something that could destroy us if we aren't careful."

"While witches and wizards are familiar with the struggle of hiding themselves and being hated without reason they are also naturally wary of anything different that runs the risk of making things harder on them. They are probably watching very closely to make sure that mutants don't end up exposing them to the general populace and will do anything to make sure that that doesn't happen."

"How do you know so much about these people?" Logan had a feeling that the little one wasn't a normal mutant, there was a charge around him that just didn't feel like a mutant power.

"I am the first mutant-wizard hybrid. Most of the time the magic or the x-gene is more powerful and devours the other leaving the person as either a mutant or a wizard. In my case the two powers were equal and merged together, making me something altogether different. My family has had many bad experiences with magic and were not fond of me at first for this reason but my mutant abilities made life much easier for them and allowed us to move past my magic." Harry didn't know why he was talking so much, it made his throat hurt and he didn't know these people well enough to tell them about his family. He got up a little too quickly and left the room without a backward glance, he needed to get away from them before he said something foolish.

{M}

"Maybe next time you should lay off on the manipulation thief." Logan watched as Harry seemed to retreat further into himself the farther he got away from them both. "He isn't used to feeling much of anything and you go and make him comfortable and talkative. It won't take him long to figure out what happened."

"The little angel needs to feel somethin', he keeps all that inside o' him and he's gonna blow." Remy flipped an ace of hearts over and stared at the design on the back. "He needs to learn how to let it all loose before that happens."

"Maybe, but he can't know you're doing it or he's gonna try harder to lock everything up. He's scared to feel, even I can tell that. You would be better off playing off of something he already feels a little to break his shell." Logan turned his head sharply as the insufferable Cajun started to laugh.

"Who knew that the feral could be so smart about emotions?" Remy couldn't help but tease the rough man a bit, especially with everything that the man had put him through. Though it was obvious that Logan didn't remember one lick of any of it.

"Don't get smart with me, thief. It doesn't take a genius to see that the boy bottles everything up inside and that ain't healthy. I can't help him with that kind a mess and you need to tone your 'help' down. A raging psychic is something we don't want to end up with." Logan stretched out and looked at the Cajun that he only vaguely remembered from the isle. "I don't know about you but I could really use some grub."

{M}

"What are our orders from Fudge?" Kingsley had at first been excited to be a part of the task force sent to find the Boy-Who-Lived but lately it had been nothing but looking through Muggle records and getting hounded by the Order for any information on the search. He had thought that the man that had defeated Grindlewald was a man worth fighting for but there was something about the man that didn't seem quite right. He viewed everything like a chess move and seemed to say one thing and do something totally different. Unfortunately it was impossible to back out of the Order without having someone more powerful to protect him and the only ones that could pull that off were the Dark Lord and the very boy that he was looking for. Fudge only had the political power, not the magical power.

"We are to move on to New York where the majority of the mutant influence is concentrated. The Minister believes that the Dursleys may have chosen a mutant heavy area to hide the magical signature of the savior as he aged. He also gave the order that any confirmed member of the Hogwarts staff or any British witch or wizard that cannot give a valid reason to be in the area is to be detained. Apparently there is more than one group looking for the boy and the Minister wants to take no chances with the wrong group getting to him first." The first year Auror gave the orders over with a crisp tone and immediately went back to his post. He knew that the other was a member of the very group that he had just been warned about, but there wasn't anything that he could do about it yet.

{M}

"Shouldn't we be looking for Logan and the boy?" Jean wanted to find the boy that made her feel more in control than she had in years. It always felt like there was something inside of her trying to get out but whenever she tried to find out what it was there was a wall in her way. It had gotten a lot worse after the Liberty Island fiasco and was just about to drive her up the wall when she first laid eyes on that boy and everything calmed and the headache she had had for months eased up and vanished.

"I've used Cerebro several times but none of them is appearing. Harry is more than powerful enough to keep all of them off the radar without overexerting himself. There is no sure way to find them unless they want to be found." Xavier was more worried than he was willing to admit about having such a powerful mutant running around with Erik. The man was one of his closest friends but he had seen too much of segregation and the hatred that some held for those different from themselves to give humanity a chance. "Perhaps it would be best to just keep our eyes and ears open for when Erik decides to make his next move. Erik has never been one to sit back and just let the world pass him by, he will show his hand sooner rather than later. We just have to make sure that we're ready for it."

"We're going to have more than enough trouble trying to clear up the mess that was caused with the assassination attempt for now." Scott was more than a bit glad that Logan had followed the boy, it got him away from Jean at the very least. "We need to work on controlling the situation for now and deal with them whenever they get tired of sitting in the shadows. Logan is too much of a beast to stay there without causing some kind of problem and I for one am glad that we aren't the ones that have to deal with him anymore."