One

"Ina wuni, Baba (Good day)!" Yusuf greeted with a smile.

"Lafiya, i asked what you were doing here this late?, you don't know when to come visit right? You only the odd hours of the night." He asked again so coldly that it can send shiver down one's spine. Yusuf swallow the lumps forming in his throat, he can see Luba's evil smirks from behind his father. It was only 8:45pm but they go on exaggerating how late he came. Yusuf was more than sure his brother is still out.

"I am here to see you." Yusuf replied  broken from the inside.

"Haba Alhaji look at how tired the boy is, he probably came from work just to see us. And what you're saying is just not right, a son is always welcomed at his home no matter how old they became. Yusuf, my dear come  have a sit and talk with your father for the mean time, i will bring you something to eat." If only she was sincere, Yusuf thought.

"There is no need for that, i have already eaten, but thank you." Even though he was hungry he can't risk being poisoned by Luba. The last encounter he had with the food she served him wasn't something he quite want to remember.

"You keep calling him son but he don't regard you as his mother, i told you to stop trying to please this ungrateful boy, and about coming to see me you don't have to come here. You can just call me if you want to, you can leave now." Usman concluded pointing at the door and standing up from where he was sitting. Yusuf sat there staring at the tiled floor as if he had finally seen the miracle behind it.

"But Alhaji he just arrived and it's getting late, let him stay please." Luba requested with a sad face not meaning any of what she said. Alhaji Usman Balarabe Mai taya, he is an elderly man at his late fifties, dark skin yet very handsome, everyone can tell he was once a heartthrob. He owns the largest tyre manufacturing company in the country. For some reason he and his eldest son Yusuf don't seem to get along.

"You will never learn your lesson Luba, and let him leave, that's final, i don't want to see him here." Usman said finality in his voice leaving the living room. While Luba laught silently and Yusuf felt dejected.

"I guess you heard what your dear father had said, and i don't want to repeat it either. I won't come back again if i were you." She smiled wickedly and Yusuf existed the house without a word.

Even after so many years Yasmin can still hear those faint groans, it echoes in her head as if it happened yesterday. She wiped her tears with the back of her hand and sat properly on the bed. She doesn't know when she felt asleep, but it didn't even last for a good ten minutes. Subhanallah she mumbled to herself and went to the washroom to wash her face. Upon looking at the mirror, the same girl with panda eyes stare back at her and she quickly look away.

After performing wudhu, she set the prayer mat facing the qibla. With all her might as she bow down in prostration and pour her heart out to the Almighty being, for all her worries, insecurities and her family's well being and seek refuge from Allah for the last day. After ending her nawafil prayer she look at the clock only to see 3:20am.

She parked all the clothes she had gathered earlier from all her family members and starts doing the laundry with the washing machine and some by hands, before fajr she was done with everything.

After Fajr, she went to the kitchen and start preparing individual breakfast for each member of the family. As cooking  is no big deal for her, she is a pro when it come to the kitchen. Socializing with others is the big deal, with her strong personality many mistook her for being arrogant which is nothing close to who she is.

"Good morning, my big princess!"  Aisha greeted her daughter as she entered the kitchen in her usual jovial self. She is an elegant woman in her mid forties, with wise eyes and beautiful smile. Even with all that had happened, Aisha managed to pulled her family together and keep going.

"Good morning, Maami!" Yasmin greeted back with a small smile as usual, that can be the highest she can say in a day.  She start assembling everyone's plate in front of them on the carpet, followed by greetings from her younger siblings. She only answer with a small smile or nothing more than a nod.

"Assalamu alaikum, Yasi my child!"
Her father greeted as he sat next to her on the carpet at the far end of the dinning area.

"Wa'alaikum salam, good morning, Daddy!"

The thing with Yasmin is that she never start a conversation, but she knew how to end it. She sat at her usual spot while the rest conserved among each other and she smiles sometimes when they say something funny. She is far left behind in her own world much less in other people's. 

"Yasi, everything was delicious, do you need anything on my way back home?" Her father asked lovingly which she nodded no to. Alhaji Abubakar Datti, a high paying civil servant and very close to retirement at his mid fifties, a very amiable family man. He owns a department store. Though the Abubakar's live an average life. Both Yasmin's parents have a charm, it's like a magnetic string that keep pulling people to them, once they meet.

"Ok my dear, take care of yourself." He said giving her a small pat carefully on right shoulder, as if she was so delicate and he, trying not to hurt her. She smiled and murmured 'Ok'. And he left along with her sisters.