Chapter 24 - Talks that Destroy the Soul

Start from the beginning

What is wrong with this town? They can quite clearly see me being kidnapped by Alex, but no one is making a move to help me! Come on guys! I nearly laugh at a group of envious looking girls when one of them drops her books in shock at what is occurring, when I remember I am in a bad mood. Alex dumps me in the seat of his sports car, and then jumps in the other side, locking the doors so I cannot escape. Great, I really am a prisoner now.

"Was that really so hard?" He huffs, but I just give him a cutting glare.

I can fake anger as much as I want, but I am predominantly feeling sadness. Sadness that he keeps playing with my feelings, sadness that I allow him to play with my feelings, and sadness that he is so close yet so far from me. What is wrong with me? I am acting like I lo... really like him. Alex pulls away from the school, revving his engine like the disrespectful nuisance he is, before speeding back to the house. It is awkward, the sullenness of the situation, but neither of us make a move to speak to each other. Not so cocky now, huh? I move to turn on the music, turning it up loud to try to stamp out the gnawing silence. I feel Alex's burning gaze on me a few times, but like the obstinate person I am, I absolutely refuse to acknowledge his unwanted attention, and stare straight ahead, my gaze and feelings locked in like a grave stone.

"So... how was school?" Alex starts, after turning the music down. In response, I turn the music back up.

Letting out a growl of frustration that does nothing but satisfy the inner devil in me, Alex suddenly swerves to the right and powers off the car, silencing the music and my satisfaction. Whipping my head around to glare at him, I find his already angered gaze on me. Aww, poor little alpha prince, can he not take it when someone ignores him? Giving the doors a try, a bubble of anger rises out of me as I realise the doors are all still locked, so I cannot escape.

"What's wrong Phoebe?" He sighs, defeated.

Instead of giving in, I focus on the trees outside swaying rhythmically in the wind.

"I'm sorry. Please talk to me Phoebe." Alex tries again.

"I can't make it right if you don't talk to me." He utters softly, bringing tears to my eyes.

I harshly turn my head to the side, not wanting him to see what great effect his words are having on me. It would be better if he were mad, using slicing words to show me what a waste of time he is; at least then I would have a core reason to hate him. But instead, he is being sweet and gentle, breaking my heart in the worst way, as I know he does not truly care for me. He would not be running away and ignoring me if that was the case.

"Well, we're not moving until you speak." Alex sighs, an edge of annoyance in his voice.

Well, that's fine by me! Let's engage in this battle of wills; I wonder who the first one to break will be. Two minutes' tick by. Oh, isn't that a pretty tree? Five minutes' tick by. That is one good looking bird. Eight minutes' tick by. Is there anything else in this place apart from trees and birds? Ten minutes' tick by. Ah! I cannot take it anymore! There are only so many birds and trees I can take!

"Oh, stop torturing the both of us and let's go Alex! I cannot talk to you right now!" I burst out.

"No chance Princess." He infuriatingly smirks.

"I'm not the princess, Ana is." I mutter sourly, accompanied by a glare.

"What... how? Who told you?" He sighs exasperatedly.

I do not open my mouth to speak, knowing I will just insult him, which is dangerous considering he is a prince.

"Look... the reason I didn't tell you is because I don't want you to act differently around me... I wanted to tell you, and it is not like I do not trust you, but I... I guess I didn't want our relationship to change." He explains.