Cautiously, I glanced at my brother, silently asking for his permission. He nodded shortly.

"How?" My words came out as a whisper.

Jarred closed his eyes, probably replaying the scene in his mind. He reopened them and looked to Reece.

"May I?" Reece said, asking for his permission. 

I frowned but didn't speak. Wait—was he talking about using his gift on his beta?

I gasped

He knows about our gifts?

Jarred nodded, closing his eyes again and bracing himself for Reece's presence. I watched intently as a grey veil set over his eyes, turning them almost entirely grey. Once it completely covered his eyes, Reece took control over Jarred's mind.

Jarred's natural eye-colour was only barely visible behind the thick layer. His entire body posture changed until it copied the stiffness of a statue. Not a single muscle in his body moved or even twitched. Reece mirrored Jarred. 

I waited patiently, wondering what Jarred was letting Reece see, while still being shocked that Reece had told him about us.

Then again, I'd told Kendra—and Jarred was Reece's beta.

It was probably easier to have one's second in command know about something like that.

Technically, Reece could show me what Jarred was letting him see now, but knowing Reece and his brotherly protectiveness, he wouldn't allow it. I didn't even bother asking, although I was dying to know.

I heard Reece's heart beat faster, his muscles stiffening more. What he was seeing must have been really, really bad.

After a few more moments of absolute silence, the grey veil over both their eyes slowly disappeared again like mist when the temperature changed or was blown away by the wind. Slowly—but then it was suddenly just gone.

Reece let out a strangled gasp.

Both of them breathed heavily, even more than before, ignoring my presence altogether. Dread built up inside me. What?

What had he seen?

"What... what do we do?" Jarred squeaked, his voice failing him.

A rumble went through Reece's throat—one that made me jump in my seat—and a dark growl escaped his lips.

"We find out who the hell is responsible for killing six people these past two months," he deadpanned with anger leaking out of his voice.

The hairs on my neck froze as a coldness ran down my spine that made my body go rigid. I needed to find something to change the subject.

I was going to burst again if I didn't. This was all just too much.

"I found my promised," I blurted.

Way to go.

"You what?" Reece gasped again, staring straight at me.

Definitely didn't think that one through.

Jarred choked on his spit by the sound of his continuous coughing.

I looked down at my hands, suddenly amazed by the tiny lines on my palms, flowing into one another. One prominent line reached from one side of my palm to—"Catherine. What the hell are you talking about?"

Suddenly embarrassed, my cheeks flamed red. I never thought this would be so uncomfortable, but I couldn't help myself. Something about this all made me extremely fidgety.