Chapter Fifteen: Better Off Dead

Quinn made up her mind and began to slowly push the drape away and move across the terrace.
     Suddenly, Daniel pointed the gun to Emma's head and Quinn stopped, for fear Daniel's actions were because he saw her.
     He spoke, "But I was nothing to them!Just a slave to be ordered around!"
     Quinn's brow furrowed as Emma whimpered. She had made her choice. No turning back now. She slowly approached Connor, staying behind him to be unseen.
     "Are you okay Emma?" Connor asked her after hearing her terror-filled cries.
     "Please help me," Emma pleaded. "I don't wanna die! I don't wanna die!" Daniel bowed his head sorrowfully, conflict plastered across is marble face. Sorrow wrung his eyes as synthetic tears stained his plastic cheeks. The android's ED turned red. Daniel was pure despair. He hated hurting her.
     "Nobody's going to die," Connor reassured Emma. "Stay calm. Everything is going to be fine."
     Quinn crouched behind an upturned patio chair, waiting to the right moment to move closer. She listened with her head bowed as Connor addressed Daniel, "You're defective, Daniel. There's a problem with your software. We're going to fix it, and everything will be okay."
      Daniel growled, "I don't need to be fixed! I'm working perfectly. But my eyes are open now... I love her and there's nothing wrong with that!"
     Quinn's ears picked up. Who was he talking about? It had to be Emma...
     Suddenly, Daniel groaned, trying to cover his ears but couldn't since one of his hands held the gun and the other held Emma. "I can't stand that noise anymore!" He said as he glared at the helicopter just overhead. "Tell that helicopter to get out of here!"
     Connor obliged and gave to signal for the chopper to leave. The lack of it's deafening beats would have been a bit relaxing despite the situation.
     "There, I did what you wanted." Connor said as he moved closer, "I'm your last chance, Daniel. If you let it slip, they'll kill you. Let he hostage go. You have no other choice."
      He frowned. "I want everyone to leave..." Daniel lowered his voice, "a-and I want a car. When I'm outside the city I'll let her go!"
     Quinn believed Daniel. Of course, that plan still wouldn't work. She wanted Daniel to stay too. He's scared. Quinn was sure if she gave him to time to get used to his new emotions, he could function as a normal human. 
     "That's out of the question." Connor said bluntly. "You're a machine, you have to obey. Now put the gun down and let the hostage go."
     Daniel took a deep breath, "I've spent my life taking orders. Now it's my time to decide." He took a small step closer to the edge and extended his arm.
     He was going to jump. If Quinn was going to save them she had to do it now. She quickly shot out from behind the patio chair and ran up to Connor. "Please, Daniel. I-I..." She hadn't even thought about what she would say to him.
     "Quinn..." She heard him whisper as his LED flashed from red to yellow.
    Emma shouted her name as her voice cracked. "Please help me!" Tears poured down her face once more.
     "Daniel please let Emma go. She... she loves you."
     "No..." Daniel wanted to listen. He really did. But he couldn't. "No! She wanted to replace me! All I wanted was to be able to feel but they didn't want that!"
     "No," Quinn's voice trailed off at her whisper. "That's not true. Caroline was worried that something like this would happen. That's why she thought to replace you. you were acting more and more human each day, eventually, she just bought on," Quinn lied. She couldn't tell him that he was just replaced because they wanted a better model, which was most likely the case judging by how she knew the Phillipses treated androids.  
     "But you're emotions are a good thing Daniel," she watched as her words made Connor's head snap in her direction. "It's good to feel and I'm never going to stop you from that." Quinn pulled out a folded piece of paper form her pocket. She flattened out Emma's drawing of the three of them for Daniel so see. "See. Emma drew this... of us. She loves us, Daniel."
     He looked down at Emma's distressed and tear-stained face. Grief and guilt poured through his mechanical body. His LED turned blue. Realization washed over his features and he stood there agape. "I've... I've  ruined it... I'm going to be shut down. It's all over..." He let out a small sob, "I'm so sorry." His face and LED turned blue as large tears poured from his eyes. Daniel wiped his face with the back of his hand, which still held the pistol. He stared at Quinn sorrowfully and placed the gun's barrel under his chin.
     "No," she yelled and lunged forward. The wind was knocked out of her when mechanical arms grabbed her waist from behind and lifted her from the cement terrace. Connor held Quinn tight and placed an officer's pistol against her head.
     She struggled, trying to release herself, but she couldn't fight metal. He eyes met those of the blonde android and she called his name.
     Daniel quickly aimed his gun back at Connor and his LED jumped colors to red.
     Quinn kicked Connor, but it was no use just as before. Emma screamed her name, which was broken by coughing and choked sobs.
     Quinn watched as Emma gasped and Daniel lowered her so her feet touched the ground. She took one glance at him and he removed his arm from her waist, but kept a gentle hand at her back so she couldn't fall. Emma ran and fell into the cement, but she was safe.
     Connor watched as Emma ran to safety. He turned back to Daniel with a hard expression.
     Daniel's eyes widened and he looked to his side, seeing snipers in the nearby buildings. He rushed to Connor as they shot, but he only managed to save himself from the sniper bullets, for Connor lifted his pistol and shot him twice in the chest. Daniel reached and used his gun to hit Connor's head, refraining from shooting.
     Connor dropped Quinn at the action and Daniel pounced on him. Quin scrambled up from the ground and rushed to help Emma. She held her and brushed off her scrapes whispering to her, "None of this is your fault." She stroked her hair, "Daniel still loves you."
     Daniel knocked the gun from Connor's hands and began to strangle him. The flesh around Connor's neck disappeared, showing the white plastic exterior on a typical android's shell.
     Picking up Emma, Quinn ran into the penthouse. She set her down and a SWAT member be to immediately clean and bandage Emma's shin. Quinn didn't know how much time the snipers would let Connor and Daniel fight before they shot at them both, so she immediately went to Captain Allen.
     "Captain, I request permission to take the PL600 android #369 911 047 into my custody for scientific reasons. I am an android repair technician and I wish to experiment on this android to find the cause of deviance that is appearing in more and more androids. As you would know, the first step to finding a solution is finding the cause, Captain." Quinn tried her hardest to sound professional.
     Captain Allen answered with a smirk, "And why should I let you and not someone else who could perform experiments professionally in a lab."
     Quinn stuffers but said, "Because, Captain, I have the tools a need to monitor his behavior in my own home and I will make a log with CyberLife each day to update his emotional and behavioral status. I can also do the experiment without any need of funding and I don't need to be paid, unlike if you would want to perform experiments at the CyberLife headquarters."
     He thought for a long while and glanced outside to watch the two androids fight each other. He finally answered, "As long as he doesn't harm anyone or show any signs of hostility, you may. If I hear of anything, he will have to be deactivated."
     Quinn tried to contain her excitement when she muttered, "Thank you, Captain."