The Hidden Dog

This is my most recent experience as a babysitter. This happened about an hour ago to be exact. I have been babysitting for this family for about two years, frequently. Tonight had been no different from my other experiences. I showed up, the mom told me her three year olds bedtime, and she left. The little girl, Vivian, was allowed about five more minutes before bed. I put her to bed no differently then the million other times I had done so.

An hour after I had put her to bed I started hearing noises. At first I thought it was the mom coming home but she didn't appear, then I heard Vivian crying so I figured it was her. She just wanted her music back on, I turned on her music and told her to go to bed and then left.

The mother returned about two hours later from her yoga session. When she got in the door she says:

"Oh I'm so sorry! I totally forgot to tell you there is a dog in the house!"

This was quite a shock considering I hadn't seen a dog....like at all.

"A dog????"

She then told me they had been watching a dog for her friend. It would've been nice if she or even her daughter could have told me there was a dog roaming the house. I'm really surprised her daughter hadn't told me because she'd talk forever if you let her, she was quite intelligent for her age.

Since no one had seen the dog for quite a while we had to go on a goose chase to find the poor thing. Now mind you the dog is really old as well as DEAF so we couldn't call for him. So the mother and I are running around the house looking for this poor deaf dog.

At one point we had gone into the playroom and one of Vivian's stuffed cats had been on the floor. As the mother turned on the lights she screamed and said:

"OMG I thought that was a dead dog!"

Anyway we eventually found the dog trapped in the office. I fear for the poor things life! I hope he makes it home ok!

I know it's bad to say this but if that dog hadn't been stuck in the office and came around I would've flipped out. And probably would've been screaming "Who the heck are you!" While hiding or something...

What would you do if this happened to you?