Chapter 17

thats one huge picture ik sorry idk how to resize it on desktop plz spare me

*~*~*

Scarlett wrung her hands together, glancing around nervously. She was fidgeting almost constantly, hoping and praying Dallas didn't suddenly decide to take a walk in the middle of the night. It was obvious she was waiting for someone in the way she was acting.

A few moments later, she could see the silhouette of someone walking out of the Hogwarts castle. She flinched back and hid behind a tree until she was absolutely sure. Once the silhouette got closer, Scarlett looked at him and her face morphed into the ghost of a smile.

"Sirius Black," she said, nodding.

Sirius' face broke into a grin.

"Scarlett Dove."

He reached in for a hug but she flinched away.

"S—Sorry, I don't think Dallas would, uh... like it."

"You're going to tell Dallas about this meeting? Are you sure it's a good idea?"

Scarlett winced and shrugged.

"I don't know... but I have to tell him. He's my boyfriend, he deserves to know where I am."

"We'll talk about this later. Right now, I really  want to focus one you and Dallas. I know I have no business butting in after, well, everything, but please just listen to me."

Scarlett bit her lip and look down. He took it as a sign to continue.

"I care about you a lot, Scarlett, believe it or not. Which is why I feel like I have to tell you that the way Dallas is treating you is not normal. I don't know what he's told you to make you stay because the Scarlett I know would never stand for this. Please, it's so painful to see you this way. I don't know what to do anymore. What did he tell you, Scarlett? Why are you still with him?"

Out of no where, she began to sob, sinking down to her knees. Sirius' heart melted at the sound of her broken cries, shaking her head and trying to shake the thoughts out.

"He told me he would kill himself!" she exclaimed, burying her face in her hands, "It's been getting harder and harder to— to tell when it's happening, you know?"

"To tell when what's happening?" he asked gently.

"It's the weirdest thing," she cried, "he'll tell me stuff from the past but— but I swear he changes some of the details. Lately I've been so... so confused and I don't know what's true and what's not anymore and I don't know how I'm supposed to act anymore!"

"Scarlett, it's not your responsibility to take care of him, especially with the way he's been treating you."

"I figured it would be a— a good way for him to get his anger out, you know? I mean, he said he would kill himself if I left him! What was I supposed to do? I couldn't handle being the reason he died. I would— I would rather take a few... few punches and insults than have to be the one to tell his family that the reason he died was because of me!"