“You left me?” …Yeah, so he took the elevator.

“Dad this really isn’t a good time, I’m sorry. I’m not mad at you and I don’t hate… your girlfriend” I mumbled, “I just really don’t wanna talk about this now”

“What’s wrong then?” he raised an eyebrow.

“It’s nothing”

“It’s something. You’re stubborn and you wouldn’t have said you were okay with something so easily. What’s bothering you?”

“It’s really nothing, just a bit confused… I have a lot of homework to do so can I call you later?”

“Confused about what? If you’re trying to say you’re a lesbi-”

“I have a boyfriend! Oh my god. I think it’s time for you to go.” I laughed a little despite my current disposition.

“Just making sure, remember what happened with your cousin Lola?” he chuckled lightly.

“I’d rather not remember” my face reddened. I refuse to go into detail but long story short; I walked in on something that I continue to pray I’ll forget about.  

“Well fine, call me. I don’t like it when my daughter ignores me.”

“Sorry” I smiled, “bye daddy” I hugged him.

“Bye Mandy” he kissed me on the forehead and grinned before walking off. I opened the door to my dorm room and saw a familiar blond haired dude lying on Zayn’s bed with a huge bag of Doritos in his hand.

“Um” I said awkwardly getting his attention.

“Hey Amanda” he said casually.

“Hi Niall…?”

“Dorito?” he asked holding out the bag.

“No, thanks.” I giggled “Why are you in here if you don’t mind me asking?”

“Oh, Liam is being a cunt”

“Why do you guys share a dorm if you’re always fighting with each other?”

“Because, have you seen him shirtless? It’s just like, woah.” He said still stuffing his mouth, making me laugh. I walked over and sat on my bed pulling out one of my huge textbooks.

“Shouldn’t you be studying or something?” I asked.

“Not really. The music classes are pretty basic.”

“Of course it’d be easy for you, you already know about all that music biz from being in One Direction.”

“I guess. I never really asked, but do you even listen to One Direction?”

“Uh no… but that doesn’t mean you’re not awesome. I just don’t like boy bands. ”

“I find it ironic how Harry Styles is your boyfriend yet you don’t even like the band he’s in” Niall smirked.

“Why, does that make me a bad girlfriend or something?” I teased, returning his grin.

“Nah, Harry thinks it just makes you different” he said making me smile. So, Harry thinks I’m different?

“Aw, how sweet.”  Niall and I talked for a while- well actually it was mostly him talking since I was trying to do homework, but that’s not the point; the point is that I got to know him better. While we talked though, I learned all those jokes people make about Niall loving food are not an exaggeration, they’re the truth. You’d be amazed at how serious the conversation gets when something edible is mentioned.  

I finished my homework, and sat next to Niall on Zayn’s bed. We were watching Avatar when I heard someone walked through the door.

“Hey Zayn” Niall smiled “Where ya been?”

“I was with Lou, Harry’s still there though. I’m leaving out again, I just came to get a jacket” Zayn said before turning to me, “Hey again”

“Hey” I smiled, “Where are you going?”

“Err, out with Lindsey” he mumbled almost awkwardly, grabbing a grey jacket out of his closet.

“Aww, she’s nice” Niall cooed while I sat uncomfortably.

“Well I would hope so” Zayn chuckled.

“Have fun doing whatever!” Niall screamed as Zayn walked out.

“I will!” Zayn screamed back before shutting the door.

So, he's going out with Lindsey? Here come the selfish thoughts. If I wasn’t sure about them being together before, I am now. You’re supposed to be happy when your friends are happy, right? So why don’t I feel that way now? I do want Zayn to be happy, but not with Lindsey… or any other girl for that matter…

Holy fuck what am I even saying.

I’m not supposed to like Zayn, he has a girlfriend and I have a boyfriend. I know these feelings are wrong but denying them won’t make them disappear. Stop thinking about it Amanda, you’re just making it worse. Why did this have to happen so early in the school year? It’s literally going to be torture dealing with this.

“What are you thinking about?” Niall asked me.

“Oh, nothing, just the movie” I lied.

“Sure” he mumbled, clearly unconvinced. We sat in silence watching the bizarre movie. I’ve seen Avatar before but somehow is still manages to confuse me. It was cool to hang out with Niall. Somehow he’s managed to make my bad day a pretty okay day after all. It was around 10pm when he left. I fell asleep before Zayn got back but to be honest, I really don’t care.

~

I watched my dad and his girlfriend laugh together on the couch. What they were laughing at was unclear to me, as they we’re just looking at each other. The echoing laughter got louder, giving me a terrible headache. I covered my ears but the sound became deafening. I felt something cold on my shoulder and turned around to see my mom. I opened my mouth to speak but for some reason, I couldn’t. Her skin was pale and her eyes were completely black and empty. It was a haunting image, but I couldn’t look away. My mother’s ghostly figure drifted to the couch when suddenly, the dreadful laughing stopped. The room became completely silent. That's when my mother… vanished?

~

My eyes fluttered open and I noticed the room was dark. I looked over and saw the faint silhouette of Zayn sprawled out on his bed. I turned to look out the window and saw the moon shining through. I reached over for my phone and checked the time, it was 4:47. I shut my eyes and rolled on my side, trying to fall asleep again.

 Well that was weird…?