Chapter 31 "Look Me In The Eyes"

The clerk hands the phone to Halstead.
He calls 9-1-1 and proceeds to give them his badge number, telling them to send an ambulance to the convenience store after he asks the clerk the address and to send the Intelligence Unit.
Thanking the clerk, Halstead rushes outside where Shaylynn is sitting on the bench.
"How you doing?" he asks her.
"The cramps are getting worse," she tells him holding her stomach looking at him with a worried look.
"An ambulance is coming," he reassures her.
"I'm losing the baby, Jay," she says and starts crying.
Halstead sits down beside her and puts his arm around her, "Don't say that! Everything's going to be okay," he tells her when he hears sirens.
"I'm scared," she tells him.
Halstead sits there with his arms wrapped around her as the Ambulance arrives with the Intelligence Unit not too far behind.
The Paramedics rush over to Shaylynn as does Hank.
"What's wrong?" Hank asks.
"We made a run for it and once we got to those trees, she fell to her hands and knees and started cramping," Halstead tells him as they stand back and watch.
"You said through those trees?" Hank asks.
"Yes, the house past those trees is where you'll find Dr. Boner, Dr. Igorery, and Diaz's body," Halstead tells him.
Hank looks at him confused, "Diaz's body?"
"Shaylynn slit his throat so we could get away. That's his blood on her," Halstead tells Hank.
"Alright, we're going to head that way," Hank tells him, "Watch over her! If anything comes up, call me!"
Halstead nods to him as the Paramedics load Shaylynn into the Ambulance.
He walks over and gets up inside as the other Paramedic shuts the doors.
Running to the front, the Paramedic gets in and drives off.
At Med, it's discovered Shaylynn's having cramps because she's dehydrated.
Dr. Choi has the nurse hook Shaylynn up to fluids so she can be on her way when they're done.

~~~~~~~

A couple of weeks have gone by.
When the Intelligence Unit made it to the house, there was no one there except Diaz's body.
With everything that has happened and her hormones going crazy, Shaylynn and Halstead have been fighting a lot.

Standing outside of a storefront, Shaylynn waits for Halstead to arrive.
Her phone starts ringing...
"Hello,"
"When your pretty boy shows up, you're going to tell him that you two are through!" the voice on the other end tells her.
"Boner?" Shaylynn questions.
"Do what I tell you or my buddy who's a sniper will take the pretty boy out!" Boner tells her laughing, "I also was in the military and know people."
Shaylynn starts looking around, "Don't bother trying to see where we are! We can see you, that's all that matters! You better get ready because pretty boy is coming. Make sure you don't hang up so I can hear you! If you hang up so you can warn him my friend will put a nice hole in his head! Then you'll be able to see what pretty boy is thinking!"
Shaylynn sees Halstead driving down the street. She takes her phone and puts it in her pocket.
He pulls into a parking space, gets out of his truck, and walks up to her, "Ready?" he asks her.
Shaylynn looks down at the sidewalk, "I can't do this anymore!" she tells him.
"Do what?" Halstead asks her.
"Us!" she says looking at him, "I can't do us anymore! I wish I would have said no to you when you said you wanted to get married right away! I should have never agreed to it!"
Halstead looks at her hurt, "What are you trying to say?" he asks.
She doesn't say anything.
"Look me in the eyes and tell me it's over!" Halstead tells her.