And if my luck was right tonight, sigurado ako na ako iyong ma-swerteng masisigawan.

The recitation began abruptly. Unang natawag iyong si Mia, iyong isa sa mga members yata ng sorority. She was able to answer correctly kaya kahit mukhang gustong manigaw ni Sir, wala siyang magawa. The recitation continued hanggang sa ako na iyong matawag. Fuck. Ito na.

"Doctrine of Separation of Powers?" he asked.

I breathed in deeply. I could not take a round of humiliation. Not tonight.

"In essence, separation of powers means the legislation belongs to Congress, execution to the executive, settlement of legal controversies to the judiciary. Each is therefore prevented from invading the domain of the others," I answered. I could still remember this. Nabasa ko 'to. Kalma lang, Katherine. You got this. "To prevent the concentration of authority in one person or group of persons that might lead to irreparable error or abuse in its exercise to the detriment of republican institutions. The purpose was not to avoid friction, but, by means of the inevitable friction incident to the distribution of governmental powers among the three departments, to save the people from autocracy."

Halos manginig ang buong pagkatao ko habang nagsasalita ako. Atty. Cruz looked like he was just waiting for me to make a mistake, and he'd breathe fire in my direction. And I couldn't afford that! Sobra na 'yung mga nangyari ngayong gabi!

"Discuss the case of Senate Blue Ribbon Committee v. Majaducon," Atty. Cruz said.

Fuck.

Fuck me!

"The case..." I began. "The case of Senate Blue Ribbon Committee..." I continued, but I stopped right there dahil biglang nawala sa isip ko iyong title. He didn't even assign that case yet! Sabi niya iyong last topic pa kasi hindi pa kami tapos! This case was for the next topic pa!

Atty. Cruz began to unleash his anger on me.

"Ms. Arellano! My God! You're already studying law! Didn't you read the case?!" he asked, embarrassing me in front of the whole class. I could see Iñigo's face. He pitied me. "Answer! Did you read the case?!"

I fisted my knuckle. "No, Sir."

"Incompetent! Did you really think that you can just attend my class without any effort?! Are you a lawyer already?! Are you better than me?!" he shouted.

Umiling ako. "No, Sir..."

That continued for another five minutes. The most humiliating five minutes of my life. Nanatili akong naka-tayo doon habang kinu-kwestyon ni Sir kung paano ako naka-pasok sa law school. Na hindi ako tatagal dito dahil tamad ako. I had to beg myself to calm down. I had to beg myself not to cry.

I had been humiliated enough.

Ayokong dagdagan pa.

Tama na.

* * *

"Girl..." Deanne said.

I quickly fixed my things. "I'm okay," sabi ko habang mabilis na kinuha iyong mga gamit ko. I needed to go home. I wanted to come home.

Mabilis akong lumabas. Sinubukan akong habulin ni Iñigo, pero hindi ako lumingon kahit tawagin niya pa iyong pangalan ko. Sobrang pahiyang-pahiya na ako. Hindi lang sa sarili ko kung hindi sa buong klase. Hindi ko alam kung ano pa 'yung mararamdaman ko. Ang liit-liit bigla ng tingin ko sa sarili ko.

But as I took a step outside, tears began to fall. Diretso lang akong naglakad, walang pakielam kung tignan pa ako ng mga tao. This night has been so fucking shitty!

I walked and walked and walked, begging for this night to be over. I wanted to sleep. I wanted to just end this night.

I was walking mindlessly, tears flowing from my eyes, when I heard someone calling my name.

"Katherine."

I halted.

Hindi ako maka-galaw. Hindi ko mapigilan ang pagtulo ng luha mula sa mga mata ko. Nanatili akong naka-tayo hanggang sa maglakad siya papunta sa harapan ko.

"Jax..." I said. I bit my lower lip as tears continued to flow. My chest tightened. I hated this night. I hated everything that happened.

"What happened?" he asked.

Umiling ako. "I don't want to talk about it."

Naka-tingin lang siya sa akin habang patuloy sa pagbagsak iyong mga luha ko. Gusto ko silang punasan pero para saan pa? The disappointment I was feeling was too strong. I hated this. I hated feeling this weak.

"Can you do something for me?" I asked with tears clouding my vision.

"Of course," he replied, worry in his eyes. I wished.

"Ten seconds," I said as I wrapped my arms around his waist. I just needed to do this so that this night wouldn't be complete shit.