Unit 1: Basics-- Chapter One: The Setup

Chapter One: The Setup

So, when you start writing, you start with a sentence, right? We all know what sentences are. So, you're writing along and you end up with two sentences, then three, then four, then five, then six, then seven, then-- Whoa!

Hold up.

When you're writing, you probably get so excited and you're so sucked into it that you don't realize that your whole first chapter is just one giant paragraph with smudges of dialogue and a lot of commas. Here's what I do when I feel like I might be making a paragraph too long:

I stop after a couple sentences, quickly scan what I just wrote (you don't even have to read it, just skim) and evaluate it. Say this is what you wrote:

I can't believe this was happening to me. He did it again! That no good dirty rotten man had stolen my thunder! This was the third time this month and he was already taking over my department in the office. How could he do this to me?! "I swear, I'm going to kill him." I said.

There's your first paragraph. Sometimes, that's how I start out my stories and I don't even know what's happening. It's just the story that's in my head. It's like a movie playing and I'm just writing the happenings.

Anyway, there's your paragraph. It seems pretty nice. Good beginning, a hook that'll have readers questioning the the heck you're talking about and have them keep reading. However, you can mix up this up a little with the help of...

GRAMMAR!

That's right, ladies and gentlemen, our good friend Grammar is here to rescue this paragraph. Firstly, the character is obviously upset. She's distraught (I'm assuming it's a she) and angry, so why not make this a little dramatic to prove how angry she is with quick, short fuse thoughts?

I mean, come on. If someone stole your thunder, you'd be pretty pissed too, right? Right. So, let's try this:

I can't believe this is happening to me!

He did it again!

That no good dirty rotten man had stolen my thunder! This was the third time this month and he was already taking over my department in the office. How could he do this to me?! "I swear, I'm going to kill him." I said.

There's three paragraphs! Sure, the first two are just sentences, but by splitting them up, you make it more dramatic. Not to mention, reading online is far different than reading a book in your hands, right? The lights given off by computer monitors puts a strain on our eyes and having to read a huge glob of words is very painful. Your eyes start to burn and water sometimes. At least, that's what happens to me.

So, by splitting that paragraph up into three with the first two being very short and sweet, it makes it easier to read and less strainful on your readers! Always be good to readers and their eyes.

Now, that's a good beginning, isn't it? We understand your character's anger and disbelief. The exclaimation marks are a good touch. Now, let's take a look at the end of the paragraph. There's dialogue smooshed in there. This is one of those important rules, so pay attention now! No droning off to sleep or getting randomly inspired! (Actually, that's a good thing, but save the brain storming for the later unit!)

When you want to start dialogue, ALWAYS start a new paragraph. Do not smash your dialogue into your paragraph because again, that's a strain on the eyes because of those little, ity, bity quotation marks. There's also the fact that we don't know who's talking sometimes. You may put "she said", but what if "she" is talking to another "she"? Then we don't know what "she" is speaking.

So! This is what you do:

I can't believe this is happening to me!

He did it again!

That no good dirty rotten man had stolen my thunder! This was the third time this month and he was already taking over my department in the office. How could he do this to me?!

"I swear, I'm going to kill him." I said.

There ya go! Now we're gettin' somewhere! So, now you know how to set up a chapter.

Another part of setting a chapter up is, of course, the title of the chapter. I tend to go with the simple "Chapter One" titles because I'm not as creative with titles as I am with storylines and names. However, you can start your title with "Chapter One:", then go on writing your chapter until it's done. Scroll back up and name your chapter.

Maybe something inspiring that you character said. Maybe something that'll have the reader going "huh?" Or, you could just name it after the character who's telling the story if you tend to switch POVs.

So remember!

To add drama or less strain on the eyes, split your paragraphs. Don't do it just randomly either. Notice that in our example with our angry female intern that she keeps to the same subject in a paragraph. If you're going to switch thought processes or subjects, start a new paragraph! No need to confuse the reader.

Always, always start a new paragraph when starting dialogue! It's easier to read and easier to tell who's speaking and who is not.

Naming your chapter doesn't have to come first. The same goes with the title of your story. You can just give it a bullcrap title just so you can save it to Wattpad or a Word document, then go back and change it later.

Next: Unit 1: Basics-- Chapter Two: Spelling and Grammar!

(Oh, come on, you guys knew this was coming sooner or later.)