1

Rose 🥀

"But I think that I'm done trippin', I'm trip-trippin'..", I sing aloud, bopping my head to my the music.

However, my concert was quickly interrupted by my dad turning the radio off.

"Rose, are you listening?", he asks. "Yes sir.", I answer.

"Now, after I drop you off to your sister, you're still gonna have priorities and responsibilities.", he tells me.

"What is your top priority?", he asks. "Getting my Bachelor's degree in Business Administration and Management.", I answer for the 1,000th time.

"Correct. You already have your Associate's, but that doesn't mean it's slack time.", he continues.

"Remember, you're not grown until you have a steady job, and you're living on your own."

I eventually zone out, and give him a simple "yes sir" whenever I would come back to Earth.

Allow me to formally introduce myself.

I'm Rosalyn LeAnne Duess, or Rose for short. I know, not the usual name of a black girl, but I've grown to think it fits me.

I will admit it right now, I'm a good girl. My dad is a pastor, and my mom is a lawyer, so I've always had rules thrown at me.

I have 1 sister, who I am moving in with so that I can finish school.

I somewhat disagree since I'm almost 21, but my dad thinks it's for the best.

He doesn't want me living alone or with a stranger until I've experienced living away from home for a while.

I'm now attending UCLA, majoring in Business Administration and Management.

I aspire to be an entrepreneur, running my own fashion line and store.

"Rose..", my dad says, interrupting my thoughts. "Sir?", I ask, coming back to earth.

"Did you hear what I said?", he questions. "No sir, I apologize.", I answer.

"Well, I told you that when you get there, don't let your sister get you into any trouble. She's done some things in her past that I don't approve of, but I know she'll look after you.", he tells me.

"Yes sir. But, I'm too old to let people get me in trouble.", I respond.

"Amen. And don't forget to read your daily scriptures and pray often.", he tells me.

After a few minutes, we pull up to a slightly large house.

"This is it.", my dad says, getting out.

I follow behind him and grab one of my suitcases from the trunk.

"ROSY!", I hear a voice yell. Turning around, I'm met with the face of my older sister, Miracle.

"Hey, Mir.", I say, hugging her tightly. She does the same, wrapping her arms around my neck.

Pulling away, she looks at me up and down with a smile.

"You've grown up so much, Rose.", she says, pinching my cheeks. "You too, Mir. It has been years.", I tell her.

And it has been. I haven't seen or spoke to her in almost 6 years. I just remember her and my parents arguing, and then she just left. No explanation or anything.

"I know, but we can catch up tonight.", she responds with a smile.

"Alright, Rose. I'll talk to you later.", my dad says, coming up behind me.

He hugs me, and kisses my cheek before walking away.

"Bye, dad.", Miracle says. He simply ignores her and gets into his car, not sparing her a glance.

We watch as he drives off, until he's out of sight.

Grabbing one of my 2 suitcases, she directs me in.

I grab my other one and follow her inside, beginning a new milestone in my life.