CHAPTER TWENTY ONE: THE BEGINNING AND THE END

"Abhishek!?", said a familiar voice from behind. Abhishek quickly turned around. His fear slowly turning into a glowing smile. Rajat was standing there, visibly sweating and looking worried.

"Where the hell have you been!? You said you'll be back soon. I have literally scanned the entire area around."

Abhishek quickly hugged him. It was probably the gush of emotions or maybe the good fortune that it wasn't one of the suspicious looking men. Rajat was startled by this but he returned the feelings in kind by hugging him back. They had been inseparable all this time. He suddenly noticed Natasha standing a few steps behind. He shook Abhishek aside and said, "That girl is looking at us secretly". Abhishek gave a little smile and said, "I think you do know her".

The night had brought more questions than answers for Abhishek. Although, there was a part of him which was happy to have met Natasha again after so long, there was also a part which couldn't quite comprehend what was going in her life. On the face of it she seemed like a heartless assassin. A hired gun to take down all who stood against her, but deep inside she was the same girl he had seen in school and fell for in an instant. The same girl he had grown fond of and even in such tragic circumstances he couldn't seem to shake it off.

"So if I read this right you are into covert operations? Which unit is it? RAW or IB?", Rajat asked looking delirious.

"You could say a bit of corporate espionage and secret service", said Natasha smiling gleefully. The three of them were now sitting at a tea stall near the main road. All of them were tired to continue ahead. Abhishek was determined to finally get the closure he wanted from Natasha. It had unsettled him long enough to kindle his curiosity. It was now or never.

"It's interesting. Abhishek you were fooling me all this time. How could you not tell me this?", smirked Rajat. Abhishek had turned pensive. He wanted to find out answer to all his questions but he wasn't sure how. Rajat could sense this desperation in him. He decided to make the move first.

"I think I should head back to the camp and drop in a word that you'll be coming later. They might be worried", said Rajat getting up and ready to leave. "See you later Natasha". Abhishek hugged him again. It was from the heart. "I hope you get what you wanted", whispered Rajat and smiled at him. Natasha waved him goodbye. It was time.

"So? What is all this really about? I don't understand any of it", said Abhishek settling down.

"You aren't supposed to. We weren't even supposed to be here. Even at this particular moment you are putting your life at risk by being with me.", said Natasha bluntly.

"Well if that is indeed the case then I might want a few answers. I can't be lost in this doubt of having been with you and not knowing anything about you forever."

"Fine. Go ahead. What is it you want to know", said Natasha with a straight face.

"What did I do wrong for you to leave me the way you did?"

"Abhishek. This isn't about you at all. Honestly, there's nothing that you could have done to change my decision. I knew it back then and I am sure even today."

"So what about all those emotions. Were they all false and artificial"

Natasha took a pause. She knew that Abhishek would come to questioning everything at some point and considering everything that had happened till now she knew that he was not entirely wrong to think about it.

"Before I answer the question. Can you tell me what exactly had you planned for us?"

"Why is that even a question? I would have looked after you, cared for you and did everything in my capacity to keep you happy..."

"Wait right there. You see. This is what is the problem." said Natasha with disbelief.

"Problem? How? What is it that you wanted?", asked Abhishek sounding confused.

"Abhishek you don't realise this maybe but just by putting your mind and soul into keeping me happy and satisfied you failed to live for yourself. It seemed everything to me when were younger and trust me those were some of the best times we've had together but I didn't want you to be subservient to my whims and fancies. I didn't want your world to revolve around me. I wanted you to be yourself with no inhibitions. I don't want to live alone for the both of us."

"Why didn't you tell me this before? I would have not done it then"

"You are going back to the same discussion. If I told you this wouldn't it again be same as making you behave as per my liking. We are different individuals Abhishek. Our paths are completely opposite. Being together would only spell disaster"

It finally dawned on him about what Natasha really meant. He had spent so much of his energy to make the relations sustain and agree to whatever Natasha said. He didn't put much thought on the reason or logic behind the argument of doing something as long as it was something concerned with Natasha. In taking those extra steps and efforts to keep her happy he had forgotten to think about himself. This realisation however came with a price. He realised that this could be the very reason they might not able to be with each other.

"So I guess this is it then. The final nail in the coffin. The End.", said Abhishek deeply fallen in his thoughts.

Natasha had become teary eyed. Her love for Abhishek was impalpable. She had been headstrong all this time. Her logic had drowned in her emotions. She was trying hard to not hurt Abhishek. But it was important for him to understand and grow. She didn't want him to fall behind because of her.

"No. It never ended. It just changed into something else. Something beautiful." said Natasha in a mellow voice.

"It's funny you say that after everything else that you described"

"You think it has been easy for me? Not a minute goes by when I don't recount the memories that we had, the passion that we shared. It's still what keeps driving me everyday, to have known you and been with you. Abhishek, our paths are not the same. The signs were always there. It's not really about us if you look at it carefully. It's about the intertwining of fate and destiny. There clearly was a disruption in our case. Pushing your fortune could only get you so far."

"I am sure there is a rational explanation for that. Why you did what you did. I hope that you do get what you desire. It doesn't affect me anymore as it is. I just wished that you had told me this before leaving."

"Would you have let me go?" asked Natasha staring at him.

Abhishek didn't know what to respond. His emotions had got the better of him. He wanted to say something but choked on his words. There was an apparent sadness writ large on his face. Natasha couldn't bear to look at him but sat there helpless. She didn't know what to do with Abhishek. All that remained was the bitter emptiness that had surrounded the area for so long. Abhishek stood up to leave. He raced a few steps before coming to a halt.

"Just one last thing before I leave. Did you ever love me?", asked Abhishek not looking back at her.

"Every moment of it", said Natasha with tears rolling down her cheeks. Abhishek gathered his strength and started walking briskly not taking a moment to glance back.

Two figures left the crossing and got lost in the darkness.