CHAPTER FIVE: A QUEST IN RETROSPECT

The night had settled in. Abhishek meandered towards his bedroom. There was a cold wind blowing outside but inside it was warm and cozy. He turned off the lights after changing into his night attire. Finally his troubled mind had some peace. There was solace. It was a weird feeling of satisfaction. Slightly less than euphoria but comforting. As he lay on his bed that day a feeling of nostalgia hit him. Being alone often caused him to go into deep thoughts. At every point of his life there have been moments which have shaped him to be the kind of person he is now. Closing his eyes he began reflecting on these crucial junctures. A peaceful silence had spread across the room as he dived into his mental realm.

It was another one of those bustling Monday mornings. The school bell had rung; children were rushing towards their classes. All except one. He wanted to get away from all this noise. Also the homework assigned for last week wasn't finished. "Okay class, so today we shall discuss the poem by William Shakespeare titled the 'Seven Ages'. As it was assigned to complete the exercise questions of the chapter, who would like to begin first?" said Mrs Renuka the English teacher of Class X. Abhishek had comfortably taken the last bench of the farthest row from the blackboard. These kind of interactions bored him. Speaking or narrating an incident was something he found very hard to do. A lot going in his head but the words wouldn't come out. "Yes Abhishek I see you trying to hide from my gaze. Stand up and please share your views with the class." It was another one of those embarrassing moments for him. A recluse in the class, he remained isolated from the mainstream. No one really bothered or cared to check on him too. They were too busy having fun to understand him. There are some people who prefer the fringe over the traditional path. Creating a niche from the ordinary. To take his case in point majority of the world's greatest thinkers, writers and innovators were also part of the sidelines.

"I didn't read it ma'am" said Abhishek as he stared blankly towards the entire class. Many of the students were jeering him, laughing while others looked suspiciously. It's kind of funny to look back at these moments now. No one would have expected that this boy would ever be successful. A clumsy and awkward fellow. What could he possibly achieve?

The corridor was empty now, in a contrast to the morning hustle & bustle. Abhishek stood there standing quietly. This wasn't the first time he had been punished. Possibly the only reason why he tried to take the last bench. To escape all the prying eyes. He preferred it this way though. No one was there to judge him or take potshots at. All the numerous subjects taught in school don't prepare you for life. If only he could find out how the first law of motion could help him move forward in life. William Shakespeare didn't have to give board exams otherwise he would too be failing in the education system in place which gave rise to rote learning and assessed you on your memorizing capabilities.

"Hey Abhi are you okay?", asked Naveen. It was lunch break. All the kids had moved out and flocked towards the canteen. Abhishek quietly came back to the class and prepared to open his lunch. "Yeah, I am fine. I've got used to this by now" said Abhishek while taking a pause. "Don't worry bro. Renuka ma'am always has a temper and you know how the class is. All they care about is having fun. These guys don't understand. A day will come when you'll finally meet someone who will truly appreciate you for the kind of person you are" said Naveen winking at Abhishek. They had been friends since 5th Standard. Naveen was probably the only person with whom he could share his thoughts with without the fear of being censured. Abhishek could afford a little smile now. The lunch looked inviting.

It was a period of break after the 12th board exams. Even though he had talked to her a lot of times before still this was something he hadn't prepared himself for. She was the most outgoing & quirky girl of the class. He was the shy and sensible one. On paper though it seemed they were meant to complement each other but still taking the initiative was tough. For the first time Abhishek had made conscious efforts to reach out to someone. This was something new for him. For a long time now he had kept this secret locked away. It was now or never, he thought.

And the moment finally came. He got a chance to meet Natasha at the farewell party. She was dressed up in a pretty red saree. "It's a dream" he pondered. Abhishek was also no scoff either. He had put on his suave black suit and a blue tie with neatly combed hair. It was a big day for him. It could go either ways from here but something inside told him it's worth a try at least.

"Hey Natasha you look pretty today" said Abhishek smilingly. He had finally got the chance to speak to her. During the entire party she was constantly surrounded by her friends and peers. Murphy 's Law was in full effect.

"You don't look half bad either Abhi" said Natasha grinning. She always had the habit of lighting up the moment. However, on this occasion it was an obstruction. For the thought he was about to share was serious.

"Okay, so the thing is that we've known each other for 2 years now. And over the course of time I think we have bonded pretty well. Now I feel I've developed a strong feeling for you. I am not so good with words but if you stay with me I'll keep you happy forever." And it was done. Not the most ideal way of expressing but for him it was still something.

"Oh and it took you so long to say it?" giggled Natasha. " Why now Abhi? Why so late? We'll be going on our separate paths now". "It's never too late to do the right thing. If the intentions are right and the feelings are pure, distance doesn't matter" said Abhishek. Natasha smiled affectionately. It was a yes. Abhishek was delighted. Reaching to this stage was not less than an achievement for him. He wanted to stay in this moment forever. The future looked bright at least for the time being.

A blaring voice shook him up. It was the morning alarm. He checked the time. It was 8. Thinking he was late for office he rushed towards the bathroom to freshen up. Midway through his brushing he realized it was a Sunday. He went back into his comforting blanket.