CHAPTER THREE: LONG ROAD AHEAD

The stage was set. It was another one of those cold, windy mornings as Abhishek took the podium to present the new software model he had been working on. He was looking more lively and energetic than his usual days in the office where he sported a poker face. In the midst of all the office staff his eyes searched for the one face which was the reason for this sudden change. Aditi was sitting just directly across the table towards the corner. Abhishek commenced with his presentation. Something was different today. He wasn't his usual dominant, forthright self. From time to time he glanced towards Aditi who was busy taking notes. She looked beautiful. The way her hair caressed her soft white skin got Abhishek rapt. At other times when she did look at him her innocent smile and magical eyes spoke a spellbinding story. He wanted to talk to her again. Last week's meeting had left a lasting impression.

"Abhishek I want you to work harder on the project. The senior management is expecting a lot from you. Don't disappoint me. Get the model revaluated by the project management team and send me a report." said Ranjit. Ranjit was the immediate boss of Abhishek. An extremely proficient and thorough professional. He had backed Abhishek from the time he had been transferred to the Delhi office. Abhishek had always looked upto Ranjit for inspiration and support. This project was also handed over to him by Ranjit reposing his faith in Abhishek's abilities.

Abhishek met Aditi at lunch that day. He couldn't really understand what happened at the meeting that day. He felt the rise of an old familiar feeling. He hated it. He welcomed it. Was it love all over again? Such a simple emotion to feel, yet so difficult to express. Only time would tell.

"What happened at the meeting today? Are you okay? Did the Delhi winters get you?" asked Aditi. "No I think it's just the pressure to deliver. Ranjit has high expectations from me" said Abhishek, still carrying a morbid expression. "You'll do well. Don't worry. Trust your instincts." said Aditi reassuringly. "My instincts have failed me in the past. Don't know how can I build that faith again" said Abhishek contemplatively.

"Huh? Where is this all coming from? You don't have to fall in love with your project!" said Aditi hysterically. Abhishek smiled back slightly hesitant though. "What does she feel about me?", he wondered. Would a direct approach be better to ask or should he play it safe? After all they had met just once outside but perhaps sometimes one moment is enough and sometimes a thousand meetings cannot create that impact. Instincts are difficult to comprehend and justify. They just flow naturally.

"So how is your love life? Seeing someone?" asked Abhishek casually, trying hard not to sound desperate. "Haha. Not really. Love is quite rare to find these days. The passion and compassion in such materialistic times is hard to come by. Besides am I not already doing good for myself that I need to take care of another bloke?" said Aditi. "True that but sometimes don't you feel that you need someone by your side, who listens to your thoughts and understands you" said Abhishek. "I'll get a counselor then. You don't need love for that. Our whole life we keep chasing the love we think we deserve and keep hurting ourselves when we don't get it. Why can't we enjoy the little moments that pass us by? Why can't we just breathe in a bit of fresh air and forget everything else. I am not trying to taboo love but is it right to stop appreciating what we already have for it? Even if you manage to get it that way would it be worth it? Real love will set you free. It'll challenge you to explore. It'll inspire you to do something new. It'll give you a new perspective in life." said Aditi. So, she wasn't one of those regular girls you get to see. Who could guess what she has lost from her face? A confident, carefree and independent girl who didn't get caught in the social stigma. "Right then. I rest my case here." said Abhishek.

Abhishek realized that right now was not the time to express. He wanted to be sure of it first. He met Aditi several times over as days passed by but the talks now were more free flowing rather than the heavy conversations that they had begun with. Life had taken an unexpected turn for Abhishek. He had resigned to his fate, given up all hope. Maybe this is what life is all about. A hundred jolts could put you down but that one spark would reanimate you. You start to believe. The sun seems to shine a little brighter. The roads start to feel welcoming again. There is a spring in your stride; it starts feeling better all over again.

"What, you are leaving already? How did this happen?" 2 months had passed, a new quarter had begun. The company was doing quite well. There were a lot of expansion initiatives being undertaken by the senior management. New offices were being setup. There was a shortage of technical staff. Recruitment had slowed down due to the economic turmoil. There was an urgent requirement to fulfill the vacant positions at these new avenues.

"Yeah. They need technical support at the Hyderabad centre. I've to leave in 2 days. No chance of delaying the relocation as the management is aggressively pushing to get the new offices up & running" said Aditi. Abhishek was silent. Not for the first time this had happened. Something he cherished being taken away from him. Attachments are something he was really afraid of. The fear of being left behind had plagued him all this time. When finally he had begun to get out from his shell, fate had other plans from him. Fate & Destiny do these really exist? Can we control our actions or the things around or is it really all pre-determined? Are we merely living out a script or are we actually writing it? For some questions there are no definite answers

"Oh that's great. You'll get good exposure there. It'll be a nice learning experience." said Abhishek, while hiding his disappointment. "I know but packing and all is gonna be so hectic. There's hardly any time left" said Aditi slightly perplexed. This was the first occasion where she wasn't sure about something. "By the way will you be coming to the airport to drop me off?" asked Aditi. Abhishek was pensive. A step back or a step ahead here could make all the difference. "I'll be there only if you can promise me a coffee treat. A large cup of Caramel Latte topped with whipped cream" said Abhishek. "Hahaha, you remember it still. That shall be taken care of. See ya" smiled Aditi as she left office. Abhishek went back to his cabin. A small postcard clenched in his fist. It was for her. He placed it comfortably in the drawer. It was already quite late. He left the office and walked out, surrounded by darkness under the moonlit sky. It was time to go home.