Chapter 2 -Preparations

Start from the beginning

“Well, don’t I get a say in this matter?” teased Asmaa.

The two sisters just looked at one another and started laughing. “Don’t fool you Asmaa,” Waliya said between the chuckles.

“You know you want to be there!” Zakia finished off.

Asmaa just shrugged and smiled mischievously. “Remember, Wals, I know stories about you! I could always tell him how awestruck you were with that guy who corrected your hadith that day,” Asmaa threatened her.

Waliya paled. She knew exactly who Asmaa was talking about. The one guy, who corrected her hadith and left Asmaa gobsmacked that initially she couldn’t react.  “Don’t even go there,” Waliya said in a stern voice. 

Asmaa grinned and looked at her watch. “Oh shush and get done. Your possible future husband will be here soon,” she said and threw her scarf at her. “Here, pin it up nicely. I brought for you a new scarf pin to use.”

Waliya rolled her eyes at her and turned to face the mirror. She took the red scarf and tightly pin the two pieces together, framing her face, before taking the longer piece and throwing it over her head until there was just a small piece remaining on the crown of her head. “Asmaa, please give me the new scarf pin you bought for me?” she asked sweetly while batting her lashes.

Asmaa laughed. “Those pretty eyelashes aren’t getting you anywhere with me,” she teased and passed Waliya the card with the scarf pin attached to it. Once Waliya saw it, she fell in love. It was about the size of her palm. A Swarovski-looking scarf pin, that was shaped in a flower formation with leaves extending from the petals. “Oh Asmaa!” she said and turned around to grab her friend in a tight hug. “It is absolutely, positively amazingly beautiful!”

Asmaa laughed. “Oh shush! Just get done or else your mother will use us all for Qurbaani!”

Waliya groaned while Zakia laughed. As soon as her scarf was pinned, there was a knock at her room door. “Come in!” Zakia yelled.

At that, Raihan cracked the door open and poked his head in. “Mummy and daddy want you downstairs, Waliya,” he said and offered her a small smile.

Looking at her Bhai, Waliya’s nerves lighted. Suddenly, she was absolutely nervous. What if they found her hideous? Or what if she messed up? What if they didn’t like the food she prepared? What happened if she spilled tea all over someone? What would happen if she made a mistake? What would happen if they suddenly decided they didn’t want her after they saw her?

“Waliya?” Asmaa said shaking her shoulder lightly.

Waliya looked up at her with frightened eyes, and Asmaa understood the dilemma she was placed in. Asmaa could read all her doubts and insecurities. “Wals, they will love you. Or else they wouldn’t have asked for you. I assure you that everything is going to work out exactly as Allah planned it for you,” Asmaa said encouraging her.

Waliya nodded and stood up, receiving hugs from her sister and best friend. “You look beautiful, masha Allah,” they said in unison to Waliya.

“Jazakallah,” she said and walked to her brother, who crushed her in his arms.

“You look beautiful, masha Allah, Waliya,” he said as he let go of her and looked at her once more.

The doorbell rang and everyone in the room stood with faces carved from stone, except of course Waliya’s father. He was beaming. With a final glance at Waliya’s shocked and scared face, he went to answer the door obliviously.

“Go into the kitchen and wait for us to call you,” her mother said, breaking out of the shocked-trance.

She nodded and walked into the kitchen with Asmaa trailing right behind her. “Don’t freak out, okay?” Asmaa warned her.

Waliya rolled her eyes at her. “Really? That’s not helpful!”

Asmaa laughed. “Okay, I know, but you can’t say I never did my part. By the way, stand up and let me take a picture of you, the girls want to see what you look like.”

With a silent groan, Waliya complied and modelled for Asmaa to take the photos of her. She was just done, when Zakia came into the kitchen and told her to prepare the tea and pastries to take it to them. Asmaa smiled at Waliya and gave her a hug, then immediately set the plated for the pastries while Waliya poured the tea. “Zakia apa?” Waliya called.

“Waliya?”

“How many guests?” Waliya asked.

“He is here with his parents and his younger brother,” Zakia answered.

 Ya Allah, please help me not to mess up, Waliya made dua as she poured the remaining cups before preparing to walk out and meet them.