Chapter 2 -Preparations

Start from the beginning

“Yep, she needs to learn it quickly,” Asmaa answered, before saying, “I found the perfect one!”

“Great, is there any coloured beading on there?” Asmaa asked.

“Nope, it’s just a plain black and silver beading and some white rhinestones,” she answered Zakia.

“Will you pick out her burgundy scarf with the sewn in glitter thread?” Zakia asked as she moved closer to Waliya.

Asmaa looked at Zakia sceptically. “Isn’t it going to be too outstanding?”

Zakia shook her head. “No, I think it will give the family the right impression of Waliya,” she answered. Standing behind Waliya, she loosened her hair and started gently combing through it. “Waliya,” she said softly. “I don’t know him personally. But I heard of his characteristics and his mannerisms. I think he is perfect for you,” she told her sister.

“What do you mean?”

“I like what I heard about him,” Zakia answered.

“Which is?” Waliya pressed eagerly.

“He is extremely learned in the Deen. He is a hafiz. He has done an Islamic short course,” Zakia rattled. But that wasn’t exactly what Waliya or Asmaa wanted to hear.

“Tell us about his character and his behaviour and stuff!” Asmaa said impatiently.

Zakia laughed. “Look, right, he is strict, but only because of what he has learned from studying the Deen. He lives by Allah’s Laws, Waliya. He is funny, for those that are close to him. He loves children, but he won’t smile that much. I don’t know Waliya, you will have to speak to him and find out for yourself. You are the one that is going to be living with him until you are both old, In Shaa Allah,” Zakia said, advising her sister. “I just hope you know that Raihan and I will not let this marriage occur if you do not agree.”

“Jazakallah apa,” Waliya said her voice thick with unshed tears.

“Okay, okay, enough sister bonding time,” Asmaa said in a bantering manner. “There is just over an hour before they come, hurry.”

After Waliya showered and was dressed in her black abaya with beading that went just below her breast in a belt formation and on her sleeves, she was sitting on a chair facing away from the mirror while Zakia did her make-up and Asmaa flitted around the room, tidying it up in case Nafeesa walked in.

“Fifteen minutes to go,” Farah said nervously as she walked in.

Asmaa just gave her a dirty look, and Zakia spoke up. “That was uncalled for. You shouldn’t be making her more nervous than she already is.”

“Maaf,” she said emotionlessly. “Waliya, your father said that the boy will want to see you. Do you want that?” she asked addressing only Waliya and ignoring the others.

Waliya waited until Zakia finished applied the kohl before answering. “I don’t want to see his face. He may see mine, but I want Asmaa to be there with me,” she said softly as she looked at Asmaa to confirm. Once Asmaa nodded, Farah left.

“Apa?” Waliya called as Zakia passed her a peach flavoured lip balm.

“Jee Waliya?”

“I want Asmaa next to me, when him and I sit and talk, if you don’t mind?” Waliya asked, in a small voice, not wanting to offend her older sister.

Zakia smiled at her, her eyes shining like saucers. “I didn’t expect anything else!” she laughed.

“Jazakallah!” she grinned and hugged her sister.

Falling Innocently On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara