“Bro, you do not want to take a dare from Madison. Trust me, there’s no truth worth hiding.”

I grimace and persist defiantly. “Dare.”

She takes out her iPhone and has me roll dice on an app. It comes up a six.

“That’s how many ice cubes you have to put down your pants until they melt,” she informs me.

Josh shakes his head. “Don’t say I didn’t give you fair warning.”

To ensure I play by her rules, Madison follows me to the counter and asks specifically for six cubes of ice with an order of fries. She refuses to let me out of her sight, so I have to discreetly follow her instructions in the hallway outside the bathrooms, feeling my face flush under her watchful eye. When we return to the game around the table, I can’t concentrate because I’m shivering. Seated on the plastic chair, I already feel the melting cubes soaking through the fabric of my jeans. I wind up asking Josh, “What’s your worst fear?”

“That’s easy,” he replies. “Madison’s dares.”

“Not funny, Josh,” she interjects.

“Your turn. Truth or dare?” he asks her.

“Come on,” she protests. “You’re supposed to answer honestly.”

“You already know all my worst fears.”

“Connor doesn’t. Besides, maybe they’ve changed.”

His blue eyes search hers. “I haven’t changed.”

Rather than pursuing it, she lets it slide. “Truth.”

“Alright, what’s the one question you don’t want me to ask?”

In that moment she goes very still, and I think that maybe she’s going to take a dare instead. But, from what I know of her, she doesn’t seem to be a hypocrite. Besides, she obviously doesn’t think the dares are the more interesting part of the game.

“I’ll answer any question,” she replies glibly.

“That’s not what I asked. There has to be at least one question you don’t want me to ask.”

“Okay,” she finally submits. “I don’t want you to ask me if I’ve forgiven you.”

The game has taken an uncomfortable turn, but she doesn’t even seem to realize it. Or maybe she’s just made her point and moved on. She simply charges ahead. I take a truth this time, trying to be carefree and not let the mood sour any further.

“If there was one thing you could change about yourself, what would it be?”

“Right now? My pants. I’m soaking from these ice cubes.”

“You guys are so not fun to play with! Seriously, Connor.”

“Seriously? Alright, I guess, um, being too introverted.”

“Are you for real?” she asks in an offended tone. “I’m disqualifying that answer. You have to do a dare.”

“No, I answered honestly.”

“I’ll make it an easy dare.”

“Nuh-uh.”

“All you have to do is hold my hand.”

The request is bewildering. She’s an enigma to me. On the one hand, she’s got this shield up with her bracing personality. On the other, she’s a girl asking for physical contact. From me.

“Maddy!” Josh intervenes. His voice is firm, authoritative and frankly a little over the top, all things considered.

In response, she lets out a dramatic sigh. “Fine.”