Chapter Four

'You are all welcome to my home', Robert addressed them, 'I assume the decoration is to your taste?'

Stephanie gave him a small smile, 'your house is very beautiful'.
J
'Well I assumed you would like it. I am Robert', Robert said before gesturing to Stella, 'this is my wife, Stella'. When Stella sent a stiff nod in their direction, he continued by gesturing to Priscilla, 'and my daughter, Priscilla'. Priscilla gave the same gesture. Dexter disliked them immediately.

Alex, Brad's father stepped forward, 'Well, i am Brad's father, Alex', he gestured to Stephanie, 'my wife Stephanie', she gave them a warm smile, 'my daughter, Emily and my son, Dexter. Well you already know Brad so...'

'Well good then. Let's get down to business. Follow me' Robert said. He turned and started to walk away. The others immediately followed. They were led to a large dining room. In the middle of the room was a long table that was enough to sit up to twenty people. Six maids dressed in black and white uniforms lined at one side of the room ready to satisfy their needs immediately when needed. On the table was a variety of meals enough for a feast.

Robert had his seat at the head of the table, Priscilla was seated by his left and Stella by his right. Catherine sat beside her sister and Brad took the seat beside her. Dexter opted for seating across Catherine. His father, Alex sat beside him,  Emily sat across him and Stephanie sat beside him.

"Please", Robert gestured towards the served meals in front of them, "dig in".

"Thanks"

"Alright".

They all began to eat. Dexter found the food to be amazing. The spices just blended and exploded in his mouth and he was savouring every bit of it. Judging by the nods of approval from the others, he could tell they were enjoying it too. The wine tasted good as well.

"So.. " Robert turned to Bradford, "what do you do?"

Bradford picked the serviette beside his plate and wiped his mouth clean, "well sir, I work as a personal assistant to the financial manager at FinnTech company".

"Hmm", Robert nodded, contemplating, "and how much do you earn as salary?"

"Father!" Catherine exclaimed.

"Keep quiet, young lady", Stella reprimanded.

Catherine was about to reply when Brad placed a hand on hers, stopping her. He smiled at her reassuringly, telling her with his eyes that he wasn't offended by the question. Stella, on the other hand, was glaring daggers at Brad's hand that was rested on her daughter's.

"Sir, I assure you that what I earn is enough to take care of your daughter and provide her needs when she becomes my wife", Brad answered.

"Really?" Stella put in, "Is it enough to buy her a mansion like this one? As you can see, this is where she fits".

"Ma'am, I---"

"How about the clothes she wears? I can assure you that they are not from those cheap stores you so obviously buy from", she looked disgustingly at the clothes Brad and his family were wearing.

"Mother!" Catherine exclaimed.

Stephanie dropped her fork in anger, "we might not have all the money, but at least we have self respect and manners which is obvious you don't have".

Alex put his hand comfortingly on his wife's, "Dear, please---"

He didn't get to complete the sentence for Stella spoke again, "How about that cheap ring you put on her finger? Can't you see the jewellery we are putting on? Pure diamonds! How much did the ring cost? 25 dollars?"