Chapter Three

I finally got home by 7. I was exhausted. Turns out even though you are the daughter of the CEO, you have to work really hard. Why? Well I'm going to be taking over the position of CEO soon. I don't like the thought of working though I do like the thought of being called CEO and making money. That's only why I would tolerate it.

I parked my Ferrari in our five-car garrage, took my purse and got out. I quickly made my way to the house. A one hour soak in steaming water in my tub sounded like heaven to me right now. As soon as I got into the house,  I noticed that the house was in a flurry of activities. The maids were moving here and there trying to get things setup. Question is..for what?

I made my way to the kitchen where I saw my mother giving others to the cooks and maids.

"Hello mother", I said as I kissed her cheek.

She turned and nodded towards me, "Priscilla, welcome. How was work?"

"Good. What's going on?" I went to the fridge and took out a carton of orange juice.

"Your father went ahead to invite the Richards to dinner".

I looked over at her in surprise as I poured the juice into a cup, "Richards? Is that not the family Catherine wants to marry from?"

"Yes. I wonder why he would do something so outrageous. Never mind. I will make it clear to that pest that my daughter is engaged to someone else".

I took a sip from my cup and shrugged, "when are they expected to be here?"

"By 8. I expect you to be dressed formally in one of your best dresses before then. I would like to get them intimidated with our riches".

"Sure thing, mother".

"Good. I don't know why Catherine cannot just be compliant as you are. Oh wait, she was until that pest corrupted her".

"Speaking of Catherine, is she aware of this?"

"Of course she is. Your sister dared to defy me after I selected a dress for her to wear. She had the audacity to say she would wear anything she wants"

"Mother, don't worry. I will speak to her".

"You'd better. Go get ready first. It's 7:20 already".

Right. I put down my now empty cup and made my way to the stairs. Two things were on my mind though: first, what was father thinking when he invited them? And second, how am I going to get ready in 40 minutes??

*  *  *  *  *

Dexter still didnt get it. Mr. Roberts Douglas invited them for dinner. He had  a feeling he is up to something and that's why he had been trying to convince each of his family members not to bother to go. But they, especially his mum, of course decided it was impolite to not accept the invitation. His dad was thinking about using this opportunity to convince Cat's parents. He thought if they see how happy they were together, they might change their minds. Yeah, right.

These are the same people who had severally belittled their daughter when she was still growing whenever she had decided to do anything against their wishes, they had arranged all of her classes for her, the school and university she would attend. They had never accepted anything less than A's in her grade and had made sure she was punished if she were to get anything besides it. They had chosen who she had to be friends with and who she should date. They were ready to choose who she should marry also. They had disgraced her several times outside whenever she uttered something that didn't quite sit well with them. All in the name of their reputation. He had come to learn that they would do anything possible to keep it.