Intense Duels

James walked quietly to the Great Hall. He felt odd, not having his seemingly permanent group of friends beside him as he went. He hoped they’d be able to see each other often, when they were done with their schooling. But, that was a bit soon to begin thinking about after school. They still had a year left to go!

                When he arrived at his destination, everyone was eating and socializing, catching up on each others summers and such. He saw Lily, Marlene, Alice, and Mary talking a little ways down from Moony, Wormtail, and Padfoot were eating. James was dragged onto the seat beside Sirius as soon as he got close enough.

                “So,” Padfoot grinned devilishly. “How is the private dorm?”

                James smiled. “They are so cool. You guys can come hang out sometime, if you want. The password is Phoenix, and it’s behind the picture of the dragon that doesn’t breathe fire, on the second floor,”

                Sirius glanced at Remus. “Moony, you’ve got that, right? I won’t be able to remember it for the life of me,”

                Remus rolled his eyes. “Dragon, no fire, second floor, Phoenix,” then he slid a piece of paper towards James. “McGonagall came by with the schedules. Here’s yours,”

                First, he had Charms. Then, Transfiguration, Potions with the Slytherins, Herbology, and Defense Against the Dark Arts. He had decided to take only the basics this year, seeing as the coursework will be hard enough, and these were the mandatory subjects for becoming an auror.

                James looked up from the yellowed sheet of parchment, and opened his mouth.

                “I have Charms, Potions, Transfiguration, and DADA with you,” Sirius said idly. “Moony has Potions, Charms, and DADA. Peter has Transfiguration, Charms, and DADA with you,”

                James closed his mouth, and then opened it again.

                “Evans has all of your classes with you,”

                He shut it once more.

Alice talked to Lily as they were walking to Charms together. Marlene and Mary had already left for Transfiguration, but they would meet up with the two girls for DADA.

                “Frank is honestly just a big sweetheart, but sometimes I wish he wouldn’t be so awkward,” Alice smiled fondly. “He’s so shy!”

                Lily nodded, listening. Alice liked having someone to talk to about her nonexistent boyfriend problems, and Lily didn’t mind being that someone. “Is there something you can do to make him less shy?”

                Alice looked shocked. “Why on earth would I want to do that?”

                “Well, you did just say that you wished he was less awkward, and you made it sound like the shyness was a part of it, so…”

                “Hm, I suppose so. But, I guess I like him like that. I’ll try and be more tolerant of that. Thanks, Lily!”

                This always happened. Apparently Lily was some great relationship guru, but she was unsure of how she actually makes Alice come to these conclusions.

                Lily brushed her hair behind her shoulder, not realizing  Alice was talking to her.

                “I said, what about you? You seemed very buddy-buddy with James Potter yesterday!” Alice winked and nudged Lily with her elbow.