Chap 8

Assigned to door duty at the school, Draco stepped out of the way while Harry held the door for Eli, who was carrying a pie that he was bringing for the schools Halloween festival that would be held after the children's concert. 

"It's good to see you, Eli." If he concentrated on the boy, maybe Draco could get through the afternoon without embarrassing himself too badly.

"Mr. Potter," Draco greeted. "Happy Halloween." The blond kept a fake smile in place as he took the Auror's coat from him and waited for him to hand Eli's over as well.

Draco was wearing a nice red turtleneck sweater and sharply pressed black dress pants and this was the first time he'd seen the Gryffindor since that night he'd come to the blond's house. Even though he'd had two and a half days to prepare for the moment, the Slytherin found himself entirely unprepared.

"Happy Halloween," Harry murmured in return. His hands brushed Draco's as he handed over his coat. His expression wasn't exactly relaxed, either. If anything, he looked very uncomfortable standing there in his dark gray trousers and ivory fisherman's' sweater. More handsome than any man the Slytherin had ever seen, but uncomfortable nevertheless.

Draco clutched the coats to his chest. "Everyone is in the gymnasium. Go on in and make yourself comfortable. The kids will be putting on their concert in a few moments." The blond teacher focused on Eli. "You can drop that off on the long table and then head over to the music room to get ready."

Eli took off to drop off the pie and find his friends, leaving Draco and Harry to share a more genuine smile at the retreating back of the eight year old boy. The two former lovers stood there alone, next to the open door for a silent moment that dragged on too long.

Harry started to lift his hand to reach out towards the blond.

Draco swallowed and deliberately looked out the open doorway to see if any other parents were coming. From the side of his vision he saw Harry's hand lower, his fingers curling. "I guess that must be everyone," the blond stated lamely.

Harry leaned over and his arm brushed Draco's as he looked out, too. "Seems so," he answered.

For a moment, Draco speculated if Harry had made the contact deliberately. "I wonder how Eli's making out with getting ready," he spoke nervously.

"Relax," Harry said as he put his hand on the back of Draco's neck in a friendly gesture. Even through his turtleneck sweater, he felt singed.

Definitely deliberate.

"He knows to be on his best behavior."

Draco shifted and Harry's hand slid down his spine then fell away as the blond looked up at him. The moment was lost as two last minute parents came through the still open door, smiling and saying hello to the teacher. The blond returned their smiles and greeted them cheerfully before closing the door. Harry had disappeared down the hallway towards the large gym.

Draco made his way towards the music room to help with any last minute emergencies before the kids came out to put on their play. Eli sidled over to him when all the students had made their way behind the curtain of the stage that was set up.

"I got grounded," he whispered as he motioned for his teacher to lean closer. "For a whole week, except today."

Never had Draco heard a boy so happy to be punished. He hid a smile. "I'm glad it didn't include today."

"Me too," the boy affirmed. "Dad said you might give me a ride on a horse."

"I just might," Draco replied. They could have time later today, in fact, if Harry approved.