Chap 14

"I'm sorry, Draco." Brody was inflexible. The blond had found him in the main office, signing some police documents so that he could leave. "You can't take Megan."

"Why not?"

"Because she's already been placed with a perfectly nice family in Quebec."

"Quebec!" Draco blurted out indignantly. "That's in an entirely different country."

"I don't make the arrangements," Brody stated calmly.

"Then who does? Coleman Black?"

Brody shook his head. "He doesn't get involved at that level."

Draco brushed his hands down his face. "This is a nightmare."

"That's only because you've lost your objectivity."

"Thanks for the reminder, Brody. That's ever so helpful." Draco's attempt at a sarcastic drawl failed because his voice was thick with tears as he turned out of the office with Brody following.

Megan was still in the lobby where she'd been left. At the sight of Draco, she slipped off the chair, looking small and defenseless. "Its okay, Mr. Malfoy," she whispered. "Mr. Paine's doing what he has to."

The tears Draco had been fighting slipped past his lashes, burning hot. The sight of Harry handing a file over to the dispatcher didn't help any. The blond knelt down and put his arms around Megan's thin shoulders. How quickly he'd let the girl under his skin. "You can call me, or write. It's probably too far to owl, but the muggle post will get it to me."

Megan hugged him back. "I don't think they'll allow that," she whispered sadly. The young girl stepped back, her chin trembling. "Thank you for my blouse. It's the nicest thing anyone's given me since...since..." She broke off, looking down at her feet.

Brody muttered something under his breath and surprised everyone when he picked Megan up. "Come on, kid, before we're all crying in our soup." He tossed Megan's coat around her shoulders and carried her out of the police office. Megan's solemn eyes looked over his shoulder and she lifted her fingertips in a small wave. The door closed behind them as they disappeared into the night.

Draco covered his face and when arms surrounded him, he turned against Harry and let the tears come even though it was the Gryffindor who held him and even though he normally would have been mortified to show such a weakness in public. He just couldn't control himself any longer.

Harry's hands smoothed down the blond back. "I'll take you home."

The words just made Draco cry harder. Like Megan, home for him was not here in this muggle world, it was somewhere else; somewhere the blond was no longer welcome. He felt as if a piece of his identity was missing and had been missing for a long time, but he had no idea how to get it back.

Harry finally let go of Draco long enough to push a wad of tissues in his hand and wrap his coat around his shoulders pretty much the same way Brody had done with Megan. Then he nudged the Slytherin outside and into the cruiser he'd left parked outside the door, saying a quiet goodbye to Ron who had turned to go into the office that had the direct link to the Ministry of Magic.

When he parked behind the blond's house, Draco's tears had slowed, leaving him feeling numb and empty. Not even the tight lipped expression he got when Harry pushed open the unlocked back door made an impression on Draco. The blond tossed his coat on the kitchen table and walked through the darkened house, dropping down on his bed.

A moment later, the mattress dipped as Harry sat beside him. "Draco..."

"Go away, Potter," Draco sniffed quietly, laying back and throwing one arm over his eyes. He was so tired. Harry was silent, torn between leaving and staying.