Chap 15

The Aurors badge sat on his table for hours. Draco knew it was there when he finally dragged himself off the floor of his kitchen and went into the bathroom to soak his face.

He knew it was there when he changed out of his clothes and pulled on the oldest, warmest, softest sweatshirt and jeans that he possessed. He particularly knew it was there when he sat down and clutched it in his hand until the engraving on it made a dent in his palm.

Sooner or later, Harry would need it. Surely Rufus Scrimgeour would not accept Harry's resignation and Draco was sure that The-Boy-Who-Lived would again take up the cause and change his mind about staying in Little Whinging.

Draco tucked it in his pocket, found his wallet and let himself out of the house. The afternoon was brilliant and cold, the promise of snow tickling at his nose. He walked downtown and headed to the police precinct. He'd give the badge to Harry, pick up his car and go back home.

There was only one cruiser parked beside the office when he got there. Draco's car was still sitting where he'd left it in the lot. If he'd had his wits about him, he would have just picked it up after he'd left the church earlier that morning, but wits seemed in short supply these days.

The blond pushed open the door and the blinds on the back of the window swayed as it swung closed behind him. "I need to speak to..." his voice trailed off. The badge he'd pulled from his pocket slipped loosely out of his hand.

Harry and Pamela Rasmussen were standing against the wall facing Tommy Sawyer, Tommy Sawyer who held a gun in his hand. Draco's shocked gaze met Harry's.

"Get over there," Tommy gestured with his gun. "With them."

Draco couldn't have uttered a word to save his soul and cursed himself for leaving his wand at home, again. It was so stupid. There was one time when he wouldn't have been caught dead without it. Now, he realized that after seven years, he had become far too comfortable living the life of a muggle and barely even thought of it any longer. He slowly crossed the room, giving the deputy a wide berth, praying that Potter had his wand with him. Pamela was crying softly and she grabbed Draco's arm in a death grip when he came to stand beside her.

"Locked doors," Harry murmured.

"Shut up," Tommy ordered, but he reached behind him and flipped the lock on the front door.

"What do you think you're going to accomplish, Tommy? Let the other two go." Harry's voice was calm as he tried to slowly put his hand in his pocket to reach for his wand.

The other officer looked harried, but he still noticed the small movement. "Keep your hands where I can see them," he shot out, pointing his gun more firmly in Harry's direction. "I just need the product from the trailer. Tell me where it is, and I'll be out of here."

Harry put his hands up slightly in front of him. "Call it what it really is. It's a drug and it's what's going to work its way into the schools here. It's what's going to start killing kids and adults because of people like you."

"I'm not like that!" Tommy lifted his gun and dashed his hand over his forehead, but sweat still gleamed there. "We're not getting rid of it here."

"Just dumping it on some other unsuspecting, vulnerable town," Harry snorted derisively. "Who's producing this stuff? Who are you getting it from?"

"Shut up!" Tommy yelled. "I can't tell you that and it's a lot of money. You think a guy can get ahead on a policeman's salary?" His laugh was short and harsh and horribly, horribly sad. "There's no woman here who'd live on that."

Harry slowly took a step forward. Tommy didn't seem to notice, but Pamela tightened her grip on Draco's arm. Her shoulder was pressed against Draco's and he could feel her shaking. The blond held his breath. Twice now in less than two days, he'd seen guns waving around.