9 - Hitomi Ishigami

Start from the beginning

"Is your painting of Mr. Aono?"

Moka stuttered at the response. "H-how did you figure that out?"

The reaction was more than enough to confirm the assumption, eliciting a light humorous chuckle from the Hunter. "I had a inkling of a guess."

"It's because Tsukune's celebrating his birthday next week." Moka responded, deciding it best to explain.

The Hunter nodded at the explanation, it would certainly explain the reason for Moka to paint a portrait of the male teenager, despite the latter's lack of distinctive characteristics, so much so that only now  did he realise Tsukune was also attending the class at the very moment. Romance amongst adolescents within this waking world was quite a strange thing to comprehend, after numerous observations of young couples forming amongst the student body near spontaneously.

"I presume it will be a celebratory gift. On the topic of birth dates, I recall yours to be the eighth of last month Miss Akashiya." [A.N. May 8th is Moka's birthday.]

"It was my sweet sixteenth!" Moka exclaimed with slight excitement, possibly to lead the conversation to a different topic not regarding Tsukune.

The Hunter raised an eyebrow at the sudden shift in excitement. Although he recalled a few students becoming gleeful at the thought of celebrating their sixteenth year of life, the reasoning of its importance escapes him.

"But how did you know my birthday?" Moka asked in a puzzled tone. "I don't think I've told you before Mr. Syn."

"I had examined your student profile, for I intend to offer a gift to you." The Hunter begun while rummaging through one of his numerous pockets, pulling out a small keepsake box slight decorated with hints of rare metals on its exterior and offering it to Moka. "Rather unfortunately, it had already passed by the time I became aware of it."

"... M-mr. Syn!" Moka cried in a stutter as she eyed the keepsake box.

It was slowly becoming quite a common event for Moka to cry out his name, the Hunter had realised. Were his actions truly that much of a surprise in this waking world?

"I can't possibly accept this!" Moka continued, alternating her attention between his gift and her peers, who were still mainly associating themselves with Hitomi and not giving the two any attention.

"I insist Miss Akashiya, you have testified to the Headmaster on my behalf after my... outburst." The Hunter stated. Even on the possibility he may be accused of favouritism, the Hunter felt it was something he must gift. "Think of it as gratitude for your effort, my burdens have lessened significantly so because of your concern for my well-being as of late. This is the least I can do."

~~~~~

After hearing Syn-sensei's sincere words and reasoning, it was becoming increasingly harder for Moka to reject her supposed birthday present. With slight reluctance, Moka took the offered box from Syn-sensei's hand, examining it.

"Can I open it now?" Moka asked.

It was clearly a jewelry box of some sorts judging by the exterior design and shape, but what type of jewelry it stored inside she didn't know.

"If you wish." Syn-sensei answered without urgency.

With slight caution, Moka slowly lifted the lid of the box. Revealing inside of the box, was a pair of earrings comprising of silver, with a circular design and decorated with a large pink gem fitted into the center, reminiscing of Moka's and Moka's hair colour respectively.

"...! It's beautiful..." Moka said out loud, before noticing the unmissable detail. "Wait... is this silver?"

Syn-sensei nodded. "I do recall the conversation we had a while ago. However, I presumed since your Rosary was also comprised of silver. It did not affect you."