Chapter Three (Making A New Friend And Enemy)

I whipped around and gasped. "Oh my gosh, dont sneak up on me like that!" I said covering my fast beating heart with my hand. 

A little boy that seemed no older than 10 with blond hair and blue eyes was just staring back at me, smiling. He looked just like Crystal, no doubt this was her son. 

"Sorry, I found this suitcase earlier and I was wondering whose it was..." The little boy smiled sheepishly at me. I smiled back at him and laughed. 

"That's ok, I forgive you. My name is Aubrey, and I'll be your step sister soon... I am also moving in, and I dropped my suitcase, but thank you so much for finding it!" I said shaking the little boy's hand gently. 

"I'm Max by the way." He said smiling at me. And for a 10 year old, he sure had a firm handshake...

"That's such a cool name!" I said smiling at him while he laughed. "Want to go play in my room?" He asked suddenly, and I just laughed. 

"Sure, I would love to. I call being the Pink Ranger!" I said, over exaggerating my excitement. 

He looked at me like I was stupid, and then said, "Power Rangers are for 3 year olds..." 

I looked at him, obviously shocked and asked, "What?" 

He just smirked at me and said, "I dont play games like that... How about we play chess!" 

I was even more shocked to hear this. A kid who doesn't like Power Rangers or heroes? And how would a 10 year old kid know how to play chess? 

"Wow... You know how to play chess?" I asked surprised. He just nodded and said, "Yeah, Mason taught me last year." 

"Mason?" I asked curiously. He must be his older brother. "Yeah, he is my older brother..." I was correct after all. "But he doesn't like people that much, so I wouldn't really bug him if I were you..." 

I looked at him and smirked. "I could handle any bad guy!" I said, faking an evil laugh. 

Max just smiled, and pulled me up to his room which was the third door on the left on the second floor. He opened his door, and his room was filled with books and maps, and even a telescope. I gawked at all of his interests, while he just pulled me over to a table with a chess board on it. 

"Ok, white or black?" He asked excited. I just smiled at his enthusiasm. "Ummm... Black!" I said siting down on the side with the black pieces. 

"Ok then, I'll be white!" Max said happily, making his first move. We played for about half an hour, and surprisingly, he was way better than me. 

My hand was on my chin while I was wondering where to put my black knight. "Ummm..." I said pondering. 

"Ugh, hurry up already! Your so slow!" Max said impatiently, as I thought about what might be a good move.