Chapter 20

I had lost weight; too much, but I had grown a fine layer of muscle. 

Not enough to make me look bulky. In fact, I doubted anyone else could even admire it, except me. At one point, I had lost so much weight that I could see my ribs, but that was before I came here.

My physical training had taken months to achieve. But it was the mental training that devoured time.

Because of the sensitivity of it, the training included Ambrose, who was less than pleased with what it included. We shared the pain that should have belonged to me.

But my dragon somehow knew how to syphon it for himself. Taking almost all of it away and holding it like it didn't bother him.

Although, that wasn't actually allowed.

So, they moved me into the chambers. They were made with a stone that effectively cut off the mental bond between Ryder's and their dragons. Nothing felt worse than that. I don't even know how long I was in there for, but I could feel myself cracking.

And when I shattered, it was only Ambrose who could put me back together.

It was a new pain that I wasn't familiar with. It wasn't like the burning in your lungs when held under-water for minutes at a time.

Or the tightening in your chest you get when someone is suffocating me. I didn't burn so they had to find new ways to hurt me.

Knives. Whips. Arrows.

I needed to be broken so I could be remade, is what Solomon chanted to me. They needed to hurt me worse than anyone else could.

Whilst I weakened, my dragon grew. I could feel our bond growing stronger, and stronger, with every passing day.

Ambrose now had the occasional coherent thought. I was stunned when it first happened, at the time my body was being forcibly held underwater. I had to try even harder to remain calm and hold my breath.

Then I heard his voice.

'I don't like this.' His voice spoke through my mind, clear as day, 'I do not like this, Ariane. Fight back.'

It was a command, but one that I hesitated to listen to. Until I could feel my eyes begin to darken around the edges. 

Only then did I jam my shoulder into someone's chest, and then break free with a splash and a struggle. It was only the next day that they had decided that my training had reached its peak.

I had passed the tests, and now only one remained.

For me to graduate, I needed to fight another Ryder. Ambrose matured slowly but surely, he was now big enough to be measured for his Ryding gear.

Although the sheer size of him made it a struggle. It would take more time because his growth spurts were so...random. Every day he had to get measured, and every day the numbers would grow.

I had been measured for my own armour but until I graduated, I would never be able to wear it. At least I was given appropriated Ryding gear for the time being.

Pants stitched from a durable fabric. Less tearing meant I had more freedom to move around. They'd even given me a chest plate, albeit it was a couple of sizes too big for me. 

"Don't throw me off." I found myself speaking to Ambrose in my native tongue more often, "I mean it. I don't want to have to go back to Sasha, they want to give me a loyalty stamp!"

Ambrose huffed as I circled him, eyes narrowing. His size made him dwarf almost anything he was in, even the barn. Other's had started whispering about him; concerns about his growing strength.